lang/rust does not build, missing -lzlibstatic

Hello, I’m sorry but this is my second day on FreeBSD and my troubleshooting skills on this system are nonexistent..
I am using 14.0 for video card reasons and because there was no pkg available for any browser other than luakit, and also my video card driver was not available in the not-broken version through pkg, so I had to start using ports, but now I still can’t get a browser because all the browsers would really like to have lang/rust and that one doesn’t build.

What I get is this:
Code:
= note: ld: error: unable to find library -lzlibstatic
          cc: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)

Did not run successfully: exit status: 1
I did find a package called lzlib and installed it in the hope that it was just a missing dependency but no such luck.

How do I fix? Please, I need the internets

It seems to build just fine on a 14.0-RC2 poudriere jail here.

Do you have anything in /etc/make.conf?

It seems to build just fine on a 14.0-RC2 poudriere jail here.

Do you have anything in /etc/make.conf?
I don’t even have a make.conf, I was considering customising things and looked at example files and then decided that I would prefer to have a functioning system before I set about breaking it :)

Running into this too. There is a bug in Bugzilla about this:
FreeBSD Bugzilla 274658
I’m annoyed that I did not find this through internet search but also glad I’m not the only one, thank you!

then decided that I would prefer to have a functioning system before I set about breaking it
Good call 👍

I’m annoyed that I did not find this through internet search but also glad I’m not the only one, thank you!
If you have problems with a port, look it up on Freshports. There's a bunch of icons next to the port's name. One of the 'bug' icons will show open PRs in bugzilla for that port. The "radio-active" button is also useful, it links to https://portsfallout.com/ and will show if the FreeBSD build clusters have any issues with that port.

You can also browse the package builders directly, but the interface is a bit daunting if you don't know how it works: https://pkg-status.freebsd.org (you also need IPv6 to be able to look at the actual build logs).

lang/rust builds just fine here with perl 5.36. Do you have a full build log somewhere?
i just ran make install (i refrained from cleaning beforehand because it takes very long and the result is always the same anyway) and put it in a file but it’s around 160,000 lines long. i can upload that somewhere if it’s absolutely necessary but i assume the relevant part is the last couple hundred lines:

If you have problems with a port, look it up on Freshports. There's a bunch of icons next to the port's name. One of the 'bug' icons will show open PRs in bugzilla for that port. The "radio-active" button is also useful, it links to https://portsfallout.com/ and will show if the FreeBSD build clusters have any issues with that port.

You can also browse the package builders directly, but the interface is a bit daunting if you don't know how it works: https://pkg-status.freebsd.org (you also need IPv6 to be able to look at the actual build logs).

thank you, this is good to know!

Rust takes a few hours to build, especially if you turn on all the Makefile knobs (like I do).

I'd suggest running make clean, followed by make... this will force a clean re-compilation, which sometimes helps.

There's also make MAKE_JOBS_UNSAFE=yes. I use that as a last resort.

Rust takes a few hours to build, especially if you turn on all the Makefile knobs (like I do).

I'd suggest running make clean, followed by make... this will force a clean re-compilation, which sometimes helps.

There's also make MAKE_JOBS_UNSAFE=yes. I use that as a last resort.
i tried with cleaning like 4 or 5 times, every time git pulling the ports tree and hoping something has magically changed. at some point i gotta admit that it’s just not going to work :(

i tried with cleaning like 4 or 5 times, every time git pulling the ports tree and hoping something has magically changed. at some point i gotta admit that it’s just not going to work :(
yeah, that happened to me with firefox... that's when I decided to give up and install whatever I can get from pkg. I had to fix a few run-deps after that. The benefit of doing something like that is that deps have already been largely satisfied, so the resulting pkg/port mess is minimal, I can live with that. I do address that on a case-by-case basis to keep the mess down.

Back