Solved KMS does not load

There must be a problem: Windows in KDE look thrashed in movement and desktop effects using OpenGL (including the OpenGL itself) cannot be enabled.
Whatever is causing this, at least it's NOT the driver, the following shows it's loaded correctly:
Code:
[    32.105] (II) RADEON(0): [DRI2] Setup complete
[    32.105] (II) RADEON(0): [DRI2]   DRI driver: r600
[    32.105] (II) RADEON(0): [DRI2]   VDPAU driver: r600
[    32.106] (II) RADEON(0): Front buffer size: 4128K
[    32.107] (II) RADEON(0): VRAM usage limit set to 228153K
[    32.117] (==) RADEON(0): Backing store disabled
[    32.117] (II) RADEON(0): Direct rendering enabled
[    32.117] (II) EXA(0): Driver allocated offscreen pixmaps
[    32.117] (II) EXA(0): Driver registered support for the following operations:
[    32.118] (II)         Solid
[    32.118] (II)         Copy
[    32.118] (II)         Composite (RENDER acceleration)
[    32.118] (II)         UploadToScreen
[    32.118] (II)         DownloadFromScreen
[    32.118] (II) RADEON(0): Acceleration enabled

What settings for "desktop effects" are you using?

Also the firmware never gets loaded; when I give kldstat | grep radeonkmsfw the firmwares are there.
That's a contradiction in itself *?*

Code:
Failed to activate desktop effects using the given configuration options. Settings will be reverted to their previous values.
Check your X configuration.
You may also consider changing advanced options, especially changing the compositing type.

This is showed after choosing OpenGL compositing type with raster Qt graphics system.

Hmm, maybe you find something useful in the output of qdbus org.kde.kwin /KWin supportInformation. As Xorg.0.log looks fine, this would be the next place to check.

Hmm, maybe you find something useful in the output of qdbus org.kde.kwin /KWin supportInformation. As Xorg.0.log looks fine, this would be the next place to check.

That's the output:
Code:
Could not connect to D-Bus server: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ExecFailed: /usr/local/bin/dbus-launch terminated abnormally with the following error: No protocol specified
Autolaunch error: X11 initialization failed.

Ok first, this needs to be run from inside the KDE session. But from the output, it looks like your dbus deamon is not even running. That's a bit strange, I always thought KDE depended on it.

Ok first, this needs to be run from inside the KDE session. But from the output, it looks like your dbus deamon is not even running. That's a bit strange, I always thought KDE depended on it.

Weird, Dbus is loaded normally from rc.conf, as you can see.

/dev/dri/card0 is a device file. For testing, let everyone write and read over /dev/dri/card0 doing chmod 777 [FILE]/dev/dri/card0[/FILE] (this is just temporal) or adding to /etc/devfs.conf
Code:
 perm /dev/dri/card0 0777

/dev/dri/card0 is a device file. For testing, let everyone write and read over /dev/dri/card0 doing chmod 777 /dev/dri/card0 (this is just temporary) or adding to /etc/devfs.conf

Code:
 perm card0 0777

/dev/dri/card0 is a device file. For testing, let everyone write and read over /dev/dri/card0 doing chmod 777 /dev/dri/card0 (this is just temporary) or adding to /etc/devfs.conf

Code:
 perm card0 0777

My name has been put in the wheel group, but still can't find a way to open the file. Which editor should I use?

Jo20, this really isn't meant to be rude, but please consider reading up a little on basic UNIX principles. /dev/dri/card0 is a device file (or, more accurate, device node) and is definitely not intended to be opened like a regular file:
Code:
# ls -l /dev/dri/card0
crw-rw----  1 root  wheel  0x77  2 Dez 19:33 /dev/dri/card0
The c in front of the permission flags identifies it as a special file of type character device.

Nevertheless, I don't think making it world-writable will do any good.

Please try to get dbus working and then provide the output of qdbus org.kde.kwin /KWin supportInformation from within a running KDE session (e.g. by putting it on pastebin). It could contain some hints why kwin has problems activating desktop effects.

Greetings, Jo20.

I see the KMS driver is not loading. The question is obviously why not. How did you create your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file? The "standard" way, for me anyway, is to either build x11/xorg-minimal, or x11/xorg. Then to run Xorg -configure, which generates xorg.conf.new in my home directory. I then examine it to see if everything looks sane for my system. Then perform Xorg -config xorg.conf.new -retro, which gives me a spartan X screen with hopefully a mouse cursor. I then perform Ctl+Alt+F1 which brings me to (p)tty1, where I issue ^C Ctl+c, which simply kills (terminates) the X session. At this point I can examine the /var/log/Xorg.0.log produced from that session, to ensure everything IS as it SHOULD be. :)

I like to use this approach, because it gives me better control over how X, and any WindowManager I choose will interact with all of my hardware. It's especially true for me, because nearly all of the hardware I manage, uses the nVidia blob (are nVidia based), which requires me to ensure that the correct gl* drivers are used.

I guess what I'm asking, is: how did you get X, and subsequently, your xorg.conf(5), followed by your window manager (KDE?)? That will help identify why, or if the driver you're expecting to use, isn't being loaded, or is even being used.

All the best.

--Chris

UPDATE: I just noticed that I responded to page ONE. I just realized that your thread had TWO page fulls.
Just thought it worth mentioning. :)

Hi Chris_H -- this is probably generally useful, but in this particular case, we already got an Xorg.0.log indicating everything is fine regarding DRI. So my guess here is -- the problem is NOT related to KMS / Xorg drivers; eager to see support output from kwin, maybe this could shed some light.

This appears to be to the contrary:
Code:
[    32.011] (II) VESA: driver for VESA chipsets: vesa
[    32.012] (--) Using syscons driver with X support (version 134217730.0)
[    32.012] (--) using VT number 9

[    32.024] (II) [KMS] Kernel modesetting enabled.
[    32.024] (WW) Falling back to old probe method for vesa
[    32.024] (WW) VGA arbiter: cannot open kernel arbiter, no multi-card support
Note: that syscons(4) is being used, but VT, should be used with the XORG_NEW system, as well as the new KMS drivers. From all my reading, and discussions on the lists, this should be the case.

Just thought I'd mention it.

--Chris

Hi Chris_H -- this is probably generally useful, but in this particular case, we already got an Xorg.0.log indicating everything is fine regarding DRI. So my guess here is -- the problem is NOT related to KMS / Xorg drivers; eager to see support output from kwin, maybe this could shed some light.

Maybe you are right, but when I run Xorg -configure I get this weird message:
Code:
Fatal server error:
Server is already active for display 0
  If this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.X0-lock
  and start again.

Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
  at http://wiki.x.org
for help.
Also, who says I don't know the Unix basics? Maybe I don't know FreeBSD like my hand, but I know the basics that are needed to work and I've used OpenBSD and Linux with ease. It just happened not to know how to open a device file only because I never met the opportunity to work with one. :D

Maybe you are right, but when I run Xorg -configure I get this weird message:
Code:
Fatal server error:
Server is already active for display 0
  If this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.X0-lock
  and start again.

Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
  at http://wiki.x.org
for help.
Umm. Just to be sure; you didn't send the command Xorg -configure while you were already running X (KDE?), did you? Just want to be sure. Before responding further on this.

--Chris

Thanks to Beeblebrox's reply, I got the idea of trying FreeBSD 11 and everything worked fine! Thank you all for your help! :D

P.S: How should I mark this thread? I didn't face the problem, I just tried something else.

Back