kldxref: error while reading /boot/testing/iwlwifi-9000-pu-b0-jf-b0-46.ucode.ko: Bad address

Hi,

I compiled and installed the 13.0 STABLE kernel and world in the Hyper-V FreeBSD without any issues, but when I tried to install them via NFS shares to a server host I get these following issues:

Code:
kldxref: error while reading /boot/testing/iwlwifi-9000-pu-b0-jf-b0-46.ucode.ko: Bad address
kldxref: error while reading /boot/testing/iwlwifi-9260-th-b0-jf-b0-46.ucode.ko: Bad address

Any idea what these are? I don't have any wireless cards.

Are all computers at the same version?
The one installed without any error is the virtual FreeBSD in Hyper-V which is then shared (/usr/src & usr/obj) through NFS to a different host (Dell T420) running all my jails to install the kernel and the world where the error occurred.
I now recompile the kernel without the drivers and wireless and didn't have any issues, but wondering what causes the issue.
Both were running 13-STABLE before upgrade (may be different previous revisions)

Thanks.

… (may be different previous revisions)

For the benefit of other readers:
  • STABLE is in some ways a test/development environment
  • in some of those ways, FreeBSD-STABLE may be less than stable (the traditional meaning of the word).
<https://cgit.freebsd.org/src/log/?h=stable/13&qt=grep&q=iwlwifi> for example. Subject to change, and so on. There's a rough schedule for 13.1 to be release engineered, a few weeks will pass before beta tests begin.

HTH, although I never took an NFS approach to updating.

freebuser I see that you're a long-time user (from maybe 8.0, familiar with STABLE for at least five years).

(may be different previous revisions)
This could be the culprit.

kldxref doesn't change too often, but I've seen problems with it before. It's always executed from the host, it is NOT part of the temporary toolset built inside the obj tree...

Most of the time, the errors it produces are non-fatal. Reboot the machine, execute the install again, this time it will (probably?) work.

This could be the culprit.

kldxref doesn't change too often, but I've seen problems with it before. It's always executed from the host, it is NOT part of the temporary toolset built inside the obj tree...

Most of the time, the errors it produces are non-fatal. Reboot the machine, execute the install again, this time it will (probably?) work.
I'll make a note of it. I don't need these drivers anyway as it is for a headless server, but never wanted to modify the GENERIC as it is hard to keep up with different things for different hosts.
This is the first time I encountered an issue in my more than 10 years experience with STABLE branch.

I can certainly live with a 1 in 10 year minor hiccups ;).

never wanted to modify the GENERIC
Just as a hint, there's no need to modify it, it can be included in your own config before listing your custom changes with [no]device/[no]options. I think the handbook should really recommend this approach instead of "copy and modify".

E.g. I use the following simple config file to get a kernel that includes Linux-compatible sg devices:
Code:
include GENERIC
ident DESKTOP

device          sg

Just as a hint, there's no need to modify it, it can be included in your own config before listing your custom changes with [no]device/[no]options. I think the handbook should really recommend this approach instead of "copy and modify".

E.g. I use the following simple config file to get a kernel that includes Linux-compatible sg devices:
Code:
include GENERIC
ident DESKTOP

device          sg

Not sure how to exclude unwanted devices?
I am currently doing it with WITHOUT_MODULES in make.conf, with the whole directory specified.

The install error remained.
The kernel boots correctly though.
Can i tell make explicitly not to build iwlwifi-9000-pu-b0-jf-b0-46.ucode.ko & iwlwifi-9260-th-b0-jf-b0-46.ucode.ko ?

Back