kitty terminal now requires linux_base-rl9?

Since a few weeks, the newest kitty-0.49.2 available in packages started requiring linux_base-rl9 and linux-slang.
This was not the case before and I didn't have the linuxulator enabled.
This dependency was added in the jump from 0.48 to 0.49 kitty versions, does anyone know why is linux now necessary?
Is kitty now compiled as a linux binary?
 
I'm using kitty myself (currently pkg-lock(8)ed version kitty-0.48.2_3, because of linux dependencies). As far as I can tell, graphics/linux-slang (which pulls in emulators/linux-rl9, is only necessary when using custom shaders:

https://sw.kovidgoyal.net/kitty/build/ .
Build from source
...
Dependencies

These dependencies are needed when building against system libraries only.

Run-time dependencies:
...
shader-slang (needed only if you use custom shaders)

Why TF does a terminal emulator need a package to make shader language easier?
It seems for visual effects : https://sw.kovidgoyal.net/kitty/custom-shaders/

Quote:
Cursor trails:

Motion Blur - Make the cursor trail glide smoothly, like a fast moving object caught on camera.

Blaze - Set your cursor on fire as it moves around

Lightning - Make your cursor shoot lightning as it moves around (Seriously?)

Wait, it gets better: Water - Pretend you are cool enough to code underwater.

Animated backgrounds: Inside The Matrix, Northern Lights, Fireworks, etc. /Quote

Those are truly very necessary features for sure in a terminal emulator.

Someone should open a PR or contact the kitty maintainer and ask for a port configure option. Maybe I do it. The option should be disabled by default.
 
It's a hard build requirement now for kitty to build these shaders however only a soft depend not required if you're not using them.

I think the package should only make it a build requirement and leave it to the user to install the extra bits if they want these features.

I've since moved to foot until this is changed.

However, it would be nice if there was a FreeBSD native port of slang. I think it's in the works but nothing public?
 
The unfortunate fact is that there already is conflicting devel/libslang2 (and maybe japanese/libslang, too) that are "Routines for rapid alpha-numeric terminal applications development" with graphics/linux-slang.

I think this (these) conflict(s) should be avoided by graphics/linux-slang side, which is far newer, by installing conflicting files (comparing pkg-plist of each ports, with devel/libslang2, /usr/local/include/slang.h and /usr/local/lib/libslang.so) with different names, or installing into dedicated directory as many others does.

This kind of unwanted conflicts can be seen between shells/fd and sysutils/fd, which the latter is uncomparably newer and disallows me to try anything depending on the latter. (Deinstalling the former cannot be my option, as I'm heavily using it everyday!)
 
Back
Top