Kim McMahon to Join FreeBSD Foundation as Senior Director of Advocacy and Community

I think a "senior director of advocacy and community" should be a real member of the FreeBSD forums and not a virtual avatar posting one-way and top-down messages "Not open for further replies".

The "blog Open For Work" does not look to me as a blog. It's more a self marketing homepage. And I don't want to use Musk's "X" or Linkedin for getting in touch.

The community is just right here.

I believe the "not open to further replies" and the virtual avatar thing is because all blog entries from the FreeBSD Foundation are slurped up by the forum software and re-posted here in the forums - this is presumably something that has been set up and configured by our forum admins.

That said, yes, perhaps a sr. director of advocacy and community should be a real member here.

The community is just right here
Only a part of the FreeBSD community is here, the rest is on X/twitter, Mastodon, YouTube, Discord, IRC, Matrix, Mailing lists, Reddit, and there are probably some bloggers spread around the net happy to post only on their blog.
Nowadays all communities are divided, this is the price to pay for the "I do it my own way/I do what I want" thing, a giant mess.
As a forum guy I would be very happy to see more people here but reality is different in 2024, at least she also is on Mastodon where people can read posts freely without having an account like X.

Also, there is this video titled "Where to social in 2024 OR why I'm still on X":
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MLVEbKOv9c

TLDR: she thinks it's better to be on a place where you have more chance to be seen.
IMO for a famous company like FreeBSD is not a bad idea, but it's just me.

The "blog Open For Work" does not look to me as a blog
Yep I can't agree with you more, that not what I imagine when I think of a blog.

I believe the "not open to further replies" and the virtual avatar thing is because all blog entries from the FreeBSD Foundation are slurped up by the forum software and re-posted here in the forums - this is presumably something that has been set up and configured by our forum admins.
Correct. They are scraped from other sites and posted by a script. As they are automated and not posted by an individual the original author of such a scraped post won't see them. So it's rather pointless to allow responses.

… she also is on Mastodon …

Does anyone have her Mastodon address, please? (I couldn't find her there, despite looking for links in a few places.) Found, mentioned, welcomed:

We're allowed to open a thread to discuss them. There's a few times, I wish I could comment on them, but not that often. I can do without.

It may be better to lock those threads after their one post, as is done. It depends though, whether it's official statements or by users who are also in here.

There's been too much arguing and too much non-technical noise to threads. I noticed that some people like to argue with newcomers, and they wait until the early weekend to start up. Sometimes it's one off, but some have done that habitually in the past. The noise in itself isn't so bad.

If the discussions were of always of high quality, then comments should be allowed on more of those threads.

On other sites, there's good articles on software. They have more separation between that, and the comments which devolve into irrelevant topics that we don't care about or have nothing to do with software. This site doesn't deserve that on those official threads, and there's less separation between an official thread and off posts.

Some announcements are repetitive, so it would be better if those official announcements are continued on one thread for each year, like staff announcements, without other comments.

I also believe that they don't necessarily need to be here, but definitely have a representative for social communities here and for other official social outlets.

I don't like FaceBook and X for viewing social media. Linkin doesn't really match for a software social community. There's Mastodon. The forums, IRC and mailing lists are main communities, and those are Additions. FreeBSD could have additional official social outlets not tied to closed platforms. Maybe Mastodon or another Opensource one makes sense.

I think gotnull put it best--there's always a bunch of different places. For FreeBSD, there's these forums, several mailing lists, and irc. There's also linuxquestions.org which has a BSD section and daemonforums.org. Also, lots of individual blogs or whatever. I have my own pages, most of the stuff there is very old, but to my surprise, one day my page on mutt showed up on hackernews. I guess there are lots of people who just have their own pages, many of them of great value, for example, to state an obvious one vermaden's Valuable News.

I don't have any solutions to the issue, sad to say.

Nowadays all communities are divided, this is the price to pay for the "I do it my own way/I do what I want" thing, a giant mess.
Agreed. There would be needed a bunch of liaisons between divided community, but the number of them seems to be very limited.

I'm acting as liaison between here, bugzilla and some MLs, but as my time and power are limited, only when I thought it's actually, fundamentally needed. And unfortunately, I'm not able to read all posts here, subscribing all official MLs and look into all PRs filed on bugzilla (and/or phablicator).

Kim McMahon bloggeth:

"Fractional Advocacy, Marketing, and Community Leadership
Open Source Marketing, Product-Led Growth, Community"

Common or garden corporate marketing BS, piled on thick.

Community isn't a buzzword, and can't be bought or sold.

Nor are we lacking shepherds, however well-intentioned.

The community is just right here.

It also helps to know there is a wider developer community that exists beyond these forums. The community that interacts with the various corporate sponsors and contributors of the project. They drive the project and make things happen. These forums are just that, a place for discussion. The forums are not as relevant in the grand scheme of things.

News just in: she's fired, you're hired. To build the community, beginning with kindness.

Only time I got fired was in '72, by Unilever - who knew a thing or two about marketing - for turning up late after a Vietnam War demo in Sydney. Fair cop, marking my start of work for real community organisations.

Do you consider it unkind to point out marketing BS? I'm sure Ms McMahon has to be impervious to honest criticism of the rôle, not of the actor.

To me it's not about her but about the community she intends "leading" - us. Frankly I have a lot more faith in Core than the Foundation.

While acknowledging the need to seek sponsorship, I hope we're not seeing the corporate tail wagging the volunteer dog, so to speak.

All just personal views, I'm fine that yours clearly differ on this.

grahamperrin that's a fair question, and right now, I don't have any issues. If I did, I would come here first. If I had no luck, I'd probably try irc. To give an example from many years ago, that may illustrate what i mean, at one point I had an issue with ArchLinux. I saw nothing on their news page, which was the usual place to announce changes that broke things. I saw nothing on the forums and nothing on their main mailing list. I posted about the issue (I don't even remember what it was, this was years ago), and someone rather nastily pointed out that if I read the archlinux-dev list I would have seen mention of it. Not being a developer, I wasn't on the list, nor did I want to be. The point is, that even for (at that time) relatively small Linux distribution, there were too many places to keep track of. In those days, probably FreeBSD-4, 5, or maybe 6, in FreeBSD, the issue was always noted in either src's or ports's UPDATING.

… The point is, … too many places to keep track of. …

Thanks.

I have the same difficulty. I'm occasionally frustrated — more with myself, than with the diversity of media, because I too often think "oh, that's memorable" then a few days later (or whenever):
  • I forget where I read, or wrote, the memorable thing.
Working with this diversity of media is made easier with an online bookmarking/annotation service. Still, I make things difficult by sometimes fooling myself that I'll remember things without using the service; of course, I forget :)

Ultimately: I treat the many places as a good thing.

Need to work with it, not against it.

While acknowledging the need to seek sponsorship, I hope we're not seeing the corporate tail wagging the volunteer dog, so to speak.
I worked for a small company that finally went out and got a marketing guy. Within a year, we went under.

Not that it has anything to do with McMahon. Just made me think of that.

Back