keyboard and mouse don't work under KDE

hi

I've kde-lite installed from ports on my notebook Asuse eeepc 1000H, but keyboard and mouse don't work under KDE.

Do you have hald and dbus enabled?

Add to /etc/rc.conf:
Code:
hald_enable="YES"
dbus_enable="YES"

SirDice said:
Do you have hald and dbus enabled?

Add to /etc/rc.conf:
Code:
hald_enable="YES"
dbus_enable="YES"

THX a lot, I've add to /etc/rc.conf and it works well now.

That's why there's a sticky in the Xorg forum, you know ...

I am having a similar problem, but I do have hald_enable="YES"
dbus_enable="YES" in the /etc/rc.conf file and kdm boots so I'm not even sure how to get back to a prompt to change any settings.
This is a new install of FreeBSD ver 7.2 and I am obviously a NOOB. Please help.

Thank you

Soaringeagle said:
I am having a similar problem, but I do have hald_enable="YES"
dbus_enable="YES" in the /etc/rc.conf file and kdm boots so I'm not even sure how to get back to a prompt to change any settings.
Boot to single user mode then:
Code:
fsck -y
mount -u /
mount -a -t ufs

Remove the automatic starting of KDM until you have fixed your problem. Use startx to start X.

Are these hal / dbus daemons the future? Or just a hacky quirk? I have noticed that OpenBSD doesn't need them. Seeing as X pretty much needs them unless you go "oldschool" on your xorg.conf, why does it not explicitly start them when it starts inself?

It sounds like large desktop systems like gnome and kde are encroaching on FreeBSD's Xorg :(
Now even Twm requires these daemons and they really only offer Mouse support etc... for it.

kpedersen said:
Now even Twm requires these daemons and they really only offer Mouse support etc... for it.
TWM doesn't need them, it's Xorg that uses HAL.

As I understood it the next version of Xorg won't depend on HAL anymore. The new Gnome version seems to have ditched it too. Most seem to be moving towards DeviceKit.

SirDice said:
Boot to single user mode then:
Code:
fsck -y
mount -u /
mount -a -t ufs

Remove the automatic starting of KDM until you have fixed your problem. Use startx to start X.

I am now back to a prompt, but not sure what to do now. My mouse and keyboard work until I load kde, then nothing, no mouse or keyboard.
I verified that I have the hald and dbus commands in /etc/rc.conf and I do. So now what? The mouse is a usb if that makes any difference.
It did work a couple days ago in kde but then I reinstalled Freebsd to learn more about the program. Now I have been unable to get it working again .

Thanks for any help.

Edit /etc/ttys or /etc/rc.conf and make sure KDM doesn't start on boot. Restart your system, login as a regular user and use startx. Fix any problems, then add KDM again.

SirDice said:
Edit /etc/ttys or /etc/rc.conf and make sure KDM doesn't start on boot. Restart your system, login as a regular user and use startx. Fix any problems, then add KDM again.

Sorry for my ignorance, but once I use startx my system is basically frozen, no mouse, no keyboard and I have to reboot.
I have no idea how to fix the problem. From what I have read everyone says add the hald and dbus to /etc/rc.conf and the mouse will work in kde and it did for me the last time I had a problem, but nothing time.

Again, sorry for being a nuisance.

Soaringeagle said:
Sorry for my ignorance, but once I use startx my system is basically frozen, no mouse, no keyboard and I have to reboot.
Before using startx again have a look in /var/log/Xorg.0.log. If you can, post it here.

SirDice said:
Before using startx again have a look in /var/log/Xorg.0.log. If you can, post it here.

Unfortunately I am not sure how to transfer the file to my laptop.
Here is the part that I think states the problem.
Code:
(==) Module Path set to "usr/local/lib/xorg/modules"
(II) Cannot locate a core pointer device
(II) Cannot locate a core keyboard device
(II) The server relies on HAL to provide the list of input devices.
      If no devices become available, reconfigure HAL or disable AllowEmptyInput

I hope this helps,
Thanks again for your time

Soaringeagle said:
Unfortunately I am not sure how to transfer the file to my laptop.
WinSCP

Here is the part that I think states the problem.
(==) Module Path set to "usr/local/lib/xorg/modules"
(II) Cannot locate a core pointer device
(II) Cannot locate a core keyboard device
(II) The server relies on HAL to provide the list of input devices.
If no devices become available, reconfigure HAL or disable AllowEmptyInp

Start by removing /etc/X11/xorg.conf and see what happens ;)

I have install freeBSD 8 on my old R52 thinkpad, and had same problem with kde, in xterminal the keyboard not run properly, the U became 4, and I became 5 (O ->6, P -> *)....but not in Gnome, the keyboard run very well...please, anyone can give me how to fix that problem?..it's make curious...

thaks

Whack Keys

r2udy said:
I have install freeBSD 8 on my old R52 thinkpad, and had same problem with kde, in xterminal the keyboard not run properly, the U became 4, and I became 5 (O ->6, P -> *)

Yes I had that same problem even after loading thinkpad.ko. Keys work normally in the BSD console but numbers appear in place of letters on right-sided keys int the kde terminal. Presumably it's the keymap in xorg. I sold the laptop so had no chance to look at the problem. But I ordered another thinkpad and I expect the issue to resurface.

My solution

I had same problem, but after editing /etc/rc.conf and adding folowing lines everything worked fine:

Code:
dbus_enable="YES"
hald_enable="YES"
local_startup="${local_startup} /usr/local/kde4/etc/rc.d"
kdm4_enable="YES"

When I entered text for the first time a used normal brackets () instead of {} I had a problem, but luckly it is solved now.

Back