kernel panic during reboot

I just got a new server (ASRock E350M1/USB3 motherboard, 16 GByte memory) and installed FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE. An issue I have is that I can't reboot. If I halt or reboot the machine (with /sbin/reboot or /sbin/shutdown -r or -h), the machine seems to shutdown properly at first, but by the time it should actually reboot, it displays the following kernel panic:

Code:
trap number             = 12
panic: page fault
cpuid = 0
uptime = 49s

Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode
cpuid = 0; apic id = 00
fault virtual address   = 0x0
fault code              = supervisor write data, page not present
instruction pointer     = 0x20:0xffffffff80b4026c
stack pointer           = 0x28:0xffffffff81178d70
frame pointer           = 0x28:0xffffffff81178d80
code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                        = DPL 0, pres 1, long 1, def32 0, gran 1
processor eflags        = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process         = 1627  (reboot)
trap number             = 12
panic: page fault
cpuid = 0
uptime = 49s

kernel trap 12 with interrupts disabled

The above numbers are the same each time. The only difference I see is that when I run /sbin/shutdown, the current process is 1 (init) instead of reboot.

Would you have any advice how to debug this?

So far, I tried playing with the ACPI (power saving) settings in the BIOS, in particular with these values:
  • Suspend to RAM: auto
  • RTC Alarm power on: by OS
  • ACPI HPET table: disabled

The only change I saw is that instead of displaying gooblygook on screen, I now see the error message in plain ASCII.

During installation of FreeBSD, I choose not to install the lib32 packages. Could that be a cause?

I tried to see if I can debug some more by setting
Code:
dumpdev="AUTO"
in rc.conf, but dmesg had this warning " no suitable dump device was found", and I didn't find any memory dump.

Any advice how to proceed?

Edit 2014-08-28: Fix faulty BBCode.

Trap 12 is usually caused by bad hardware. Make sure your memory is still good and you don't have any bad sectors on the drive.

What does "trap 12" mean exactly? So far I have not seen any indication that there is a hardware failure. A short memtest turned up fine, I'm now running memtest86+ overnight. More importantly, the kernel panic is completely reproducible: it always happens during reboot and shutdown, and has never occurred otherwise. If it was a hardware issue, I expected less predictable behaviour.

I have a few options now. More hardware tests (I have not found a good SSD tester yet); getting the memory dump working to see in what code the error occurs; recompiling the kernel myself; or fiddling some more with ACPI settings. If memtest reports no errors, I guess I'll try the memory dump. But since I'm still completely in the dark here, all guidance is most appreciated.

I just upgraded to FreeBSD 9.3, and I'm happy to report that the kernel panic no longer occurs. So it was indeed a bug in FreeBSD, and not a hardware bug, as @SirDice suggested. Kudos to whoever fixed it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back