Solved Kernel build error

Any help would be appreciated. Ive never seen this error and dont know what to do?
Code:
MYKERNEL'
ERROR: version of config(8) does not match kernel!
config version = 600016, version required = 600018

Make sure that /usr/src/usr.sbin/config is in sync
with your /usr/src/sys and install a new config binary
before trying this again.

If running the new config fails check your config
file against the GENERIC or LINT config files for
changes in config syntax, or option/device naming
conventions

*** Error code 1

Stop.
make[1]: stopped in /usr/src
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/src

Iff you have a standard binary release of FreeBSD installed, freebsd-update should help you. If you installed the source tree via SVN, do svnlite update from within /usr/src.
EDIT: you have the docs installed, don't you? pkg install {de,en}-freebsd-doc, replace de w/ your native tongue & point your favorite browser to /usr/local/share/docs/freebsd/

Reactions: a6h
Ok, that's good. Make sure to remove the src component from freebsd-update.conf so these two methods don't interfere.

What does svn info /usr/src/ show? And what version of FreeBSD do you have?

Ok, that's good. Make sure to remove the src component from freebsd-update.conf so these two methods don't interfere.

What does svn info /usr/src/ show? And what version of FreeBSD do you have?
Code:
root@machine17:~ # svn info /usr/src/
Path: /usr/src
Working Copy Root Path: /usr/src
URL: https://svn.freebsd.org/base/head
Relative URL: ^/head
Repository Root: https://svn.freebsd.org/base
Repository UUID: ccf9f872-aa2e-dd11-9fc8-001c23d0bc1f
Revision: 363221
Node Kind: directory
Schedule: normal
Last Changed Author: vangyzen
Last Changed Rev: 363221
Last Changed Date: 2020-07-15 07:26:15 -0600 (Wed, 15 Jul 2020)

Did you clean out your partially finished previous attempts? make -C /usr/src clean

Anything in /etc/make.conf? Or /etc/src.conf? And what version do you have?

Did you already change/edit any file of the source tree? Did you add any file? E.g. the GENERIC kernel config?
  • What suspects me is I have 12.1-REL-p7, too. And usr.sbin/config/configvers.h has
    Code:
    #define CONFIGVERS 600016
    . So IMHO this is a bug in the last update to -p7

Is this a custom kernel, or a GENERIC?

I read this in the error message:
MYKERNEL
[...]
If running the new config fails check your config
file against the GENERIC or LINT config files for
changes in config syntax, or option/device naming
conventions

Whats your build command?

Did you already change/edit any file of the source tree? Did you add any file? E.g. the GENERIC kernel config?
  • What suspects me is I have 12.1-REL-p7, too. And usr.sbin/config/configvers.h has
    Code:
    #define CONFIGVERS 600016
    . So IMHO this is a bug in the last update to -p7
I did not. What is IMHO

IMHO=In My Humble Opinion
Tipp Tip: I have a dictionary in my GUI's taskbar, it also looks up words in the Jargon File & Urban Dictionary. There are also lists of these in wikipedia, but I do not find the english version.

Last edited:
Tipp: I have a dictionary in my GUI's taskbar, it also looks up words in the Jargon File & Urban Dictionary. There are also lists of these in wikipedia, but I do not find the english version.

The word is spelled "Tip"... Might want to use that dictionary a little more if English is not your first language or pay attention to the build in spell checker here in the forum... :)

Thx, I thought a tip is only what I give to the waiter. My connection is dial-up, bad latency, thus I avoid using such tools too often.

Can you build a GENERIC kernel on your system? Remove src directory, create new one, checkout the 12.1:
svn checkout https://svn.freebsd.org/base/releng/12.1 /usr/src
Replace /etc/make.conf /etc/src.conf with default ones (not modified). Try to build a GENERIC kernel (no modifications). Report back the result.

Back