Keeping pkg index up-to-date

I've been running happily with ports-mgmt/pkg for a while now, no major issues. I have a cron job that runs periodically and checks for outdated packages. I was surprised when I saw that the number of outdated packages was growing, even while running periodic pkg update. I just realized that my method of filtering the output ( pkg version | grep -v '=') was letting through a slew of "installed version newer than current version" (I've since learned that I can skip grep and run pkg version -l '<' to find only the out-of-date ones). As far as I can tell from man and Google, having "packages from the future" happens when the package index is old.

I do not have /usr/local/etc/pkg.conf, but I do have /usr/local/etc/pkg.conf.sample. The environment variable PACKAGESITE is not set. From my reading I believe that the system is therefore falling back to my old ports index - yes? What's the recommended mechanism to keep the package index up-to-date? I'd just as soon work exclusively within packages (ignoring ports), if possible. Would copying the sample file to pkg.conf be appropriate? I looked through the sample and most of the options appear to be commented out. I presume I would need to specify the URI of the repository?

Thank you for any advice!
Code:
FreeBSD citadel 10.0-RELEASE-p7 FreeBSD 10.0-RELEASE-p7 #0: Tue Jul  8 06:37:44 UTC 2014  root@amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

Use pkg version -vR to compare the versions against the remote repository specifically. By default a pkg version -v will compare against the local ports tree if it exists. In other words, if /usr/ports/INDEX-* exists it will use pkg version -vI.

And instead of pkg version -v | grep -v '=' use pkg version -vL'='.

Back