KDM fails to login after update

Hello All,

I am running 7.1-RELEASE and recently decided to update to KDE 4.2 (I had a fully functioning install of 4.1.4 prior). I followed the instructions from UPDATING that suggested I do the following:

# pkg_delete -f kde\*4.1.4\* automoc4-\*
# portmaster -a (or portupgrade -a)
# cd ${PORTSDIR}/x11/kde4 && make config && make install clean

Everything finished without a problem until I restarted and attempted to log in, the screen flashed black, then brought up KDM again. It also dumps the following error in my first tty:

Code:
Feb 15 10:18:58 green kdm-bin: :0[1022]: Cannot open ConsoleKit session: Unable to open session: Failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory
Feb 15 10:18:58 green kdm-bin: :0[1022]: Client start failed
Feb 15 10:18:58 green kdm-bin: :0[1022]: Cannot close ConsoleKit session: Unable to close session: no session open

Any ideas what I might have done wrong, or how I might go about repairing it? Is there any additional information that might be helpful? Thanks very much!

-M

Looks like dbus isn't started or something is wrong with dbus. Check your boot up logs(dmesg etc) if the dbus daemon gets started.

Hmm, well there is no mention of dbus in the dmesg output at all. However, a "ps aux | grep dbus" shows that there is, in fact, a "dbus-lauch --aut" running. Is that sufficient, or should there be something else running? Thanks!

-M

dbus-launch is used to initiate the dbus-daemon, so I'm guessing it doesn't start at all. You should have a look in you syslogs for failure to start the daemon or if it's allowed to start at all, as it's the daemon that does the heavy lifting. For a quick view do:

cd /var/log && grep 'dbus' *

There has been some problems reporter earlier, and you will find some post by using the search function on the forum that has different solutions and diagnosing for dbus.

Ah! I added:

dbus_enable="YES"

to my rc.conf, and all is well. Er...well not quite something funky, but it is probably manageable now. But this leaves me wondering:

Why did I not need this with kde4.1.4?

Anyway, thanks for your help!

Hmmm actually after a little tinkering I found I needed

hald_enable="YES"

But not the dbus_enable. Hrm..Well it works anyway...

marcelesflores said:
Why did I not need this with kde4.1.4?

Although the move from KDE 4.1.4 to KDE 4.2 may seem small, there are quite a lot of changes and improvements to all aspects of the WM with this "minor" version bump.

gilinko said:
Although the move from KDE 4.1.4 to KDE 4.2 may seem small, there are quite a lot of changes and improvements to all aspects of the WM with this "minor" version bump.

Certainly, I was thinking a bit more in technical terms. Certainly reasonable if there is not a straightforward answer.

Thanks again.

-m

Hmm, this is interesting. Everything was working fine for a bit, but this afternoon, I started up the machine, and it's happening again (with both hald and dbus ON). There are a few slight changes though:

1) It no longer spits any sort of error out (Is there an appropriate place where KDE writes logs?)
2) It no longer happens right away, but instead the loading bar starts, gets about half way, then it flashes, and goes back to the login.

Any thoughts? Thanks again!

-m

Back