kde5 Plasma install on 12.1x64 fails

I slaveishly followed the instructions in this video to install the kde desktop but failed.
I intended to summarize those instructions here, but unfortunately I just lost a half hours work doing so, so would you mind watching this short video to see if you can help. Thanks.
After a number of reinstall attempts I decided to add the dbus & hald lines & the i915kms.ko line for my integrated video to /etc/rc.conf & the proc line to /etc/fstab.
I also added my root user name to the wheel video group.
The final result when rebooting (as a multiple user), was a fail , the command line being frozen. Booting as a single user gave me the ability to edit files but mostly I was informed "unable to create file"

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_x0ZL8i5Fw&t=323s

Booting as a single user gave me the ability to edit files but mostly I was informed "unable to create file"

In single user mode, the file systems are mounted as read only... You must remount them as read-write...

I just had a thought that the Intel Pentium G4560 (i386) processor I am running is the problem because it can only handle 32 bit instructions at a time, and so the AMD64 BSD OS I am trying to install is not easily able to boot into the kde5 desktop.

I believe the opposite is true running a 32 bit OS on a 64 bit processor but in that case, in reality, the processor would be under performing.

This thread is made running FreeBSD 12.0-STABLE r349024 GENERIC i386 on the very same machine but without similar problems.

So, is this liable to be contributing to the problem I am experiencing?

dalpets Knock it off with the colors please, this isn't kindergarten.

Formatting Guidelines
Ok, sorry that I tend to have a creative & innovative bent that's frowned upon in this regimented space, but please knock off the sarcasm.
How are the Formatting Guidelines, in principle, any different to my alleged 'kindergarten' formatting approach, since they both highlight stuff that any intelligent person doesn't really need to have highlighted? The only difference I can see is enforcement powers for one over the other.

I just had a thought that the Intel Pentium G4560 (i386) processor I am running is the problem because it can only handle 32 bit instructions at a time, and so the AMD64 BSD OS I am trying to install is not easily able to boot into the kde5 desktop.

I believe the opposite is true running a 32 bit OS on a 64 bit processor but in that case, in reality, the processor would be under performing.

This thread is made running FreeBSD 12.0-STABLE r349024 GENERIC i386 on the very same machine but without similar problems.

So, is this liable to be contributing to the problem I am experiencing?
I tested 12.1x64 out on a machine with Intel core-4790 & Geforce GTX950, & kde works OOB. Surprisingly, it worked without any extra configuration, which general documentation tends to suggest is probably necessary to get things working. So I've come to the conclusion that reading the manual & handbook etc., can introduce perceptions for a relative newcomer that things are much more complex than they really are.

I'm not suggesting for a moment that the documentation is uneccesary, but rather that it is wise to try simpler routes first.

Bottom line is I need a 64 bit processor to work with 12.1x64

Common misconception. It's not actually. Both 32 bit and 64 bit instructions are executed using the same number of clock cycles, in other words, they perform exactly the same. There are some instructions (mostly floating point operations) that are faster on 64 bit but overall the instructions are executed in the same time and thus perform equally well.

Where 64 bit does improve is the fact that processor registers are 64 bit (instead of 32 bit) and a 64 bit CPU can address more than 4GB of memory without having to resort to PAE.

The current generation of 64 bit processors is actually an extension of the original 32 bit instruction set, which is why 64 bit CPUs are compatible with 32 bit. This is completely different from Intel's IA-64 (Itanium) for example which was designed from the ground up to be 64 bit and is not compatible with x86 32 bit instructions.

Why does Plasma kde5 work on one Intel computer OOB; (i7-4790 LGA1150/ GTX950/Asus Z87 Plus) but will not work at all on another (Pentium G4560/LGA1151/UHD 610/Asus B250G)
Both have 64 bit processors. The Pentium will not work even with configuration that works with Gnome on the above lastmentioned machine & processor.
Is there something I should know about the vissicitudes of fBSD installations & their desktops.
I need to have an appreciation of what is at work here so that I don't buy a replacement processor that also doesn't work with a range of desktops. Is there a sweet spot in all of this or are things always in a state of flux?
Thanks for any help.

I very much doubt the CPU has anything to do with it. The only obvious difference would be the GPU actually. The GTX950 is an NVidia and I presume you're using the NVidia driver for it. While it's a closed source "blob" (some people don't like that) their drivers have always worked really well on FreeBSD.

I very much doubt the CPU has anything to do with it. The only obvious difference would be the GPU actually. The GTX950 is an NVidia and I presume you're using the NVidia driver for it. While it's a closed source "blob" (some people don't like that) their drivers have always worked really well on FreeBSD.
The thing I'm having trouble with is the mysterious nature of all of this (I didn't know this forum had spiritualist overtones, especially in your part of the world:rolleyes:). I say this because you say you presumed I'm using an NVidia driver, & I agree that I should be, but you will note I said above that in fact I used nothing in the way of configuration. Kde worked OOB (Huh!!!). So I'm perplexed that there seems to be little logic in what works & what doesn't. This is very hard to come to terms with as part of the learning process.

Actually, I'm really only interested in using an UHD processor ( with the B250G) to defray the cost of a GPU. I'm presently interested in purchasing an I3 6100 (530) to see if it works, but I don't like the gambling nature of all of this.
Since you say we can expect the difference to be with GPu's, I'm wondering if there is, likewise, to be differences in outcomes with different incarnations of UHD's (510-530). In other words they are not all going to support all desktop video installation drivers, are they? Is there any information anywhere that speaks to that? Up till now I have been thinking they will support virtually anything you throw at them but that's probably patently incorrect.

The thing I'm having trouble with is the mysterious nature of all of this. I say that because you say you presume I'm using an NVidia driver, & I agree that I should be, but you will note I said above that in fact I used nothing in the way of configuration. Kde worked OOB (Huh!!!) So I'm perplexed that there seems to be little logic in what works & what doesn't. This is very hard to come to terms with as part of the learning process.
Start with a basic Xorg first, get that working. Then move to KDE. Getting Xorg working can be tricky at times but carefully reading /var/log/Xorg.0.log usually provides enough clues why it's not working. No amount of fiddling with KDE is going to make it spontaneously work if Xorg fails. When you build a house you start by laying a good foundation and build your house on top of that. You can't build a house on quicksand (you can try but it's fairly futile). In this case Xorg is the foundation, KDE is the house that's going to be built on top of it.

Start with a basic Xorg first, get that working. Then move to KDE. Getting Xorg working can be tricky at times but carefully reading /var/log/Xorg.0.log usually provides enough clues why it's not working. No amount of fiddling with KDE is going to make it spontaneously work if Xorg fails. When you build a house you start by laying a good foundation and build your house on top of that. You can't build a house on quicksand (you can try but it's fairly futile). In this case Xorg is the foundation, KDE is the house that's going to be built on top of it.
To reiterate, I was expecting HD Graphics 610, embedded in my G4560 processor, to do all the hard yards towards installing Kde desktop video, bu such is not the case, as the following attests.

The following is a precis of negative aspects of /var/log/Xorg.0.log;
* No monitor specified for screens for Intel, modesetting, scfb & vesa
* Not automatically adding gpu devices.
* Module path set to /usr/local/?/xorg/modules.
* Warning couldn't open module Intel (module does not exist).
* Open /dev/dri/card0: no such file or directory. Falling back to old probe method of mode setting.
* VGA arbiter: cannot open kernel arbiter, no multicard support.
* Screen 0 deleted because no matching config section.
* UnloadModule: "Modesetting"
* Fatal server error.

5.4 of the handbook says not to create an Xorg config file unless installation fails. So, is that what I need to do?
Thanks.

Install misc/pastebinit and upload your Xorg.0.log like so: cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | pastebinit. Post that link here, then we can have a look at your logs.

Granted, the log is not the easiest to read and understand if you don't know what you're looking at.

Install misc/pastebinit and upload your Xorg.0.log like so: cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | pastebinit. Post that link here, then we can have a look at your logs.

Granted, the log is not the easiest to read and understand if you don't know what you're looking at.
How do I do that given I've got no desktop & a only a command line to work with?

It's not a long URL:
Code:
root@williscorto:~ # cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | pastebinit
https://pastebin.com/fhfg0JFF
The pastebinit tool takes care of everything automatically.

I presume I use my own root address not 'williscorto'. Is that correct?
Do you Identify it's from me by means of the https address you supplied?

williscorto is the hostname of the machine I ran the command on. Astute readers might recognize it, it's a character from "Neuromancer". I suck at making creative hostnames so all my machines are named after characters and places from that book.

Do you Identify it's from me at the https address you supplied?
Pastebin is a public "scratch" pad, good enough to post some fairly innocuous log files. Don't use it to share an SSL private key or something like that though ;)

It's not a long URL:
Code:
root@williscorto:~ # cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | pastebinit
https://pastebin.com/fhfg0JFF
The pastebinit tool takes care of everything automatically.
pastebinit sent
[Mod: URL removed]
Please acknowledge receipt

Thank You

I don't know what you did but that's a link to a redirection fest that ended up on some bogus webshop providing a nice advert for condoms.

It doesn't detect your graphics card. Is graphics/drm-kmod installed? Did you load the module in rc.conf with kld_list?
Sorry about the mistype. I thought I double checked it. Cut & paste is much more reliable, but was not possible in this case.
No I didn't do the drm-kmod/kld-list config! I tried what worked on another machine that had zero config for the same installation of 12.1x64 but in that case with Nvidia GTX950.
Is this then a case for saying that Nvidia is more compatible with desktop installations & therefore more likely to be recognized automatically, or do you believe that it probably was an anomalous occurence. If Nvidia is arguably the go to video for Fbsd I will bear that in mind for future installations.

I will configure tomorrow & let you know the outcome.

I tried what worked on another machine that had zero config for the same installation of 12.1x64 but in that case with Nvidia GTX950.
The drm-kmod driver is specifically for Intel or AMD graphics cards. Nvidia has its own drivers.

Is this then a case for saying that Nvidia is more compatible with desktop installations & therefore more likely to be recognized automatically, or do you believe that it probably was an anomalous occurence. If Nvidia is arguably the go to video for Fbsd I will bear that in mind for future installations.
For a long time Nvidia has been providing excellent FreeBSD drivers. I've been buying NVidia cards since I got started with FreeBSD just because they're the only manufacturer that supports FreeBSD (to a certain extend) and they've always provided up to date drivers that are, performance-wise, up to par with its Windows and Linux counterparts. There are very few issues with it but some people don't like the fact it's a binary "blob" and not open source. I'm not that particular about it, I just want something that works.

It doesn't detect your graphics card. Is graphics/drm-kmod installed? Did you load the module in rc.conf with kld_list?
I have installed & loaded both but without success. The only change is that I get a dithering black screen suggesting the system is trying to load a desktop, but then it repeatedly reboots. As a result I am unable to view the log file. Otherwise, the only config I have done is to add my user name to the video group 44.

The vidcontrol -i mode command is empty in all respects (mode, flags, buffer etc) perhaps suggesting a missing config element.

Any further suggestions?
Thanks.

I am reading this thread with the same problem, keeps rebooting. My hardware is:
MB: ASRock B365M-HDV / Intel 9400 / 16GB / Crucial 500GB NVMe
Fresh install of 12.1, followed https://community.kde.org/FreeBSD/Setup . Included kld_list="/boot/modules/i915kms.ko" in /etc/rc.conf . I can only get in by single-user boot.
I need help as well.
Big thanks to SirDice.

I have a working gui desktop! I read in FreeBSD Journal, the Jan/Feb for 2019 - "A Guide to Getting Started With FreeBSD...". Starting on page 4. The author is Roller Angel. The key for me was creating:

vi /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/driver-scfb.conf
on page 7. You can read it on the website https://mydigitalpublication.com/pu...cle_id=3320893&view=articleBrowser&ver=html5#{%22issue_id%22:571964,%22numpages%22:1,%22view%22:%22articleBrowser%22,%22article_id%22:%223320893%22} . You can subscribe on https://www.freebsdfoundation.org/journal/ . Many thanks to SirDice and Roller Angel!

Last edited:
Back