Solved KDE/Plasma5 power buttons MISSING!!!!

Hello,
I'm running freebsd12 using slim to launch kDE/Plasma5 and the restart/shutdown buttons have vanished. If I log in as root (i know, don't) they are there so I'm guessing is a permission problem. It used to work until I updated freebsd and rebuilt the out of date ports. I think that's when it broke. The computer spends a majority of the time on so what clued me in was when the screen lock and blank screen stopped working. I have not checked that functionality with a root login. I've been searching the net for solutions and have tried a bunch of the policykit rules but I haven't been successful in fixing it. Its interesting because I don't recall those buttons ever not working. After a fresh install it all just works. I'd rather NOT have to reinstall to fix it. My login belongs to wheel and operator so I know its not that, or at least should not be that. Does anybody have advice on how to fix this??? Please help!!!

Thanks,
bullittman

If I'm correct this has to do with not running hald. Had it before myself and there's some information about it on the forum (too lazy to look for it myself).
Just add
Code:
hald_enable="YES"
to /etc/rc.conf or do a
sysrc hald_enable=YES
and restart.

Hello,
shurik, you've fixed it!!! I now have all the power buttons back. I'm mystified how it used to work and then stopped. Other than an update nothing changed. Or, if it required the policykit rule, why did it used to work??? Its all magic to me. I am curious how you and others know so much about how freebsed works. Is there a better methodology to figuring out problems than googling forums for answers? Somehow all of the experts on here know this stuff..... Anyway, thanks for your assistance. Same for all of the other replies with recommendations to try.

Bullittman

I am curious how you and others know so much about how freebsd works. Is there a better methodology to figuring out problems than googling forums for answers? Somehow all of the experts on here know this stuff.....
Every expert was once a noob too. Nobody became an expert overnight. We have all spent countless hours trying to figure things out, just like you.

I have tried all the suggestions in this thread and learned a fair bit about how this works, but so far haven't been able to get my power buttons to show in KDE Plasma. I'm on RELEASE-13.1 with a Thinkpad X220.

I suggest that you indicate how you are starting Plasma, startx or sddm, and check group membership with the id command.
HAL is not required, DBUS is.

I am starting KDE with sddm. I am a member of wheel and video, and just in case, I created a group, power, and made myself a member of that too.

I think it may have been either because I had neglected to start dbus or explicitly install Xorg. After I removed all the packages I had installed, I made sure dbus was on and enabled, and ran the below from the KDE installation guide. I now have all my power options available:

pkg install --quiet --yes kde5 plasma5-sddm-kcm sddm xorg

Back