KDE Dolphin unable to mount drives after upgrading to FreeBSD 14

I recently upgraded my desktop to FreeBSD 14, and at that time KDE Dolphin was no longer able to mount USB drives (haven't tried CDs, etc). This worked perfectly fine before.

Years ago, to get it working initially, I followed RichardM's suggestions at https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/kde-mount-dvd-and-thumb-drives.65221/ and it just worked. (Given that hald isn't used anymore, I understand why that might not work now).

When I click on a "Removable Device" in Dolphin, I get the following error: "An error occurred while accessing '29.9 GiB Removable Media', the system responded: You are not authorized to perform this operation: Not authorized"

However... as the same user (NOT root), I'm able to mount and unmount devices using "mount" in a terminal.

I did add
Code:
add path 'da*' mode 0666 group operator
to /etc/devfs.rules as well as set
Code:
vfs.usermount=1
in
/etc/sysctl.conf in order to allow my normal user to mount. (Yes, I'll fix the 0666 to 0660 later... I was eliminating that as a possible issue).

I ALSO enabled automount as in the handbook:
https://docs.freebsd.org/en/books/handbook/disks/#_automounting_removable_media

and that works in a tty; I cd /media/da0 and it mounts immediately. And dolphin even recognizes it immediately; the "unmount" button immediately appears next to the device. And now, when I click the device I can see inside it. But if I click the device in dolphin before navigating to it on the CLI so that automount happens, it still just refuses and says "Not authorized".

But the "unmount" button gives the same "Not authorized" error that trying to mount it gives.

Does anyone have any ideas for me to try?

Thank you in advance!

(Also, if anyone has an idea of a better channel/audience to ask I'd appreciate that as well. Since this is a mix of dolphin (KDE), and system mounting, I don't know where the best place to ask might be.)

... system responded: You are not authorized to perform this operation: Not authorized"

However... as the same user (NOT root), I'm able to mount and unmount devices using "mount" in a terminal.

Mounted on the same directory that dolphin would have used?

I did add
Code:
add path 'da*' mode 0666 group operator
to /etc/devfs.rules as well as set
Code:
vfs.usermount=1
in
/etc/sysctl.conf in order to allow my normal user to mount.

User must additionally own the directory to be mounted on. (Just checking ...)

If that's not it, show result of % mount -f when it's manually mounted?

FWIW,

My $USER is in the following groups:

wheel operator video

I'm using KDE without SDDM and this is in my .xinitrc:

exec ck-launch-session startplasma-x11

Mounted on the same directory that dolphin would have used?

User must additionally own the directory to be mounted on. (Just checking ...)

If that's not it, show result of % mount -f when it's manually mounted?

I'm not 100% sure what directory dolphin is trying to use (I tried running truss dolphin, but the amount of info that came back was so large I didn't have a clue where to start).

In the previous version, it did mount in /media/<device>, which was owned by root.

With automounting working, if I cd /media/da0 as my user, the device mounts automatically just fine, even though /media/da0 is owned by root/wheel.

With that automount, mount -f shows:
Code:
map -media on /media (autofs)
/dev/da0 on /media/da0 (msdosfs, asynchronous, local, noatime, nosuid, automounted)

I can indeed manually mount on a directory my user owns and it works fine.

But... as a user, manually mounting into that directory does indeed give me:

Code:
$ mount -t msdosfs /dev/da0 /media/da0/
mount_msdosfs: /dev/da0: Operation not permitted

So it seems that dolphin is calling "mount" as my user, I'm assuming in the /media directory, and not trying to enter the directory which would automount it and succeed.

And I've tried to chown, chgrp, and chmod the /media/da0 directory, and I get:

Code:
# chmod 770 /media/da0
chmod: /media/da0: Operation not supported
# chgrp operator /media/da0
chgrp: /media/da0: Operation not supported
# chown user /media/da0
chown: /media/da0: Operation not supported

So I'll take one thread and see if I can figure out how to change ownership of those /media directories. But I'm still assuming that there's a KDE-friendly way to just let it work, similar to how PolicyKit made it work in the previous version.

FWIW,

My $USER is in the following groups:

wheel operator video

I'm using KDE without SDDM and this is in my .xinitrc:

exec ck-launch-session startplasma-x11

And it's mounting drives when you click on them in Dolphin? That's interesting. (My user is in wheel and operator as well. I've seen no indication that the video group would change anything, but if you think it does I can try it).

Where is dophin mounting the drives? What is the ownership of those directories?

Thanks!

I'm not 100% sure what directory dolphin is trying to use [...] (I tried running truss dolphin, but the [...]
In the previous version, it did mount in /media/<device>, which was owned by root.

Not in dolphin settings/config?

With automounting working, if I cd /media/da0 as my user, the device mounts automatically just fine, even though /media/da0 is owned by root/wheel.

Sure, (system) automount runs as root - but is dolphin using that, or expecting a user-owned directory to do it "in house" as it were?

[ caveat: l don't use automount ]

With that automount, mount -f shows:
Code:
map -media on /media (autofs)
/dev/da0 on /media/da0 (msdosfs, asynchronous, local, noatime, nosuid, automounted)

I can indeed manually mount on a directory my user owns and it works fine.
But... as a user, manually mounting into that directory does indeed give me:
Code:
$ mount -t msdosfs /dev/da0 /media/da0/
mount_msdosfs: /dev/da0: Operation not permitted

With it inserted, mounted or not, gpart show -p should? show an MBR scheme, with a da0s1 - so you need to mount that slice, not the disk:

% mount_msdosfs /dev/da0s1 /media/da0s1 (perhaps?)

However your mount -p above seems to show da0 with a raw msdosfs filesystem... hmm ... the gpart show will help here.

And what does ls -lR /media say?

So it seems that dolphin is calling "mount" as my user, I'm assuming in the /media directory, and not trying to enter the directory which would automount it and succeed.

Just checking: you're not starting KDE as root, are you?

And I've tried to chown, chgrp, and chmod the /media/da0 directory, and I get:

Code:
# chmod 770 /media/da0
chmod: /media/da0: Operation not supported
# chgrp operator /media/da0
chgrp: /media/da0: Operation not supported
# chown user /media/da0
chown: /media/da0: Operation not supported

Let's see what's there first ...

Back