Just gotta LOVE git!

zirias@

Developer
Sometimes I'm still amazed. In PR 258182, the committer decided to squash my two suggested commits into a single one on main.

STILL, git rebase got it correct automatically! :cool:
Code:
dropping 29ad89fd821d460862f727cc37b76b6f9692c81a devel/gsoap: remove old libressl-related changes -- patch contents already upstream
dropping e312460f6e3f80c9c65ea6cc0f94b77dfd5cddef devel/gsoap: add SSL path to CFLAGS and LDFLAGS -- patch contents already upstream

This is just awesome.

I see, you find lots of those comments here. Can't get my head around this. There's really not a single thing svn did better (but lots of things it did worse) 🤷‍♂️

(TBH, when I started using FreeBSD a good 5 years ago, I was pretty surprised to learn they still used svn…)

I see, you find lots of those comments here. Can't get my head around this. There's really not a single thing svn did better (but lots of things it did worse) 🤷‍♂️

(TBH, when I started using FreeBSD a good 5 years ago, I was pretty surprised to learn they still used svn…)
SVN was used because it was shiny and CVS was old hat (and even more of a pain)!

This ancient wiki page details the reason for SVN (https://wiki.freebsd.org/VCSWhy). It talks in such a way from when SVN was new and exciting ;)

Oddly I don't quite understand the reason for not CVS -> Git directly. Possibly it was too young in those days to commit to? Around then I only knew CVS and SVN. The other considerations:

• git: written in C (pro, could be integrated into /usr/src - oh wait, we have to split up /usr/src, so its not a "pro" at all.)
  • hg: written in python (con - can't be integrated without bringing python too - also pro, theoretically more agile to develop (but why no partial checkouts if its that easy?))
  • git: attitude of developer(s) - (con, if git doesn't suit our model, then the only "right" solution is to change our model. We can't expect help changing git to suit us)
  • hg: attitude of developers (pro, they seem very accomodating..)

It's very hard to get used to Git if you've used any other SCM system for most of your career. Git stands a lot of the assumptions that are common in most SCMs on their head.

Git's command line interface (or "porcelain" as they call it) was clearly written by people for whom English is a second language. The "checkout" command, for example, does about 5 different things, and none of them corresponds to what "checkout" does in CVS or Svn.

There is no global source of truth in Git, and therefore no simple revision number you can point to as a reference for the source tree at a particular point. It's hard to get used to the distributed nature of Git when you've been working with centralized SCM systems.

Well yeah, using git is "different" than using svn. If that's the only complaint, I officially declare it invalid 😈

I'm really glad FreeBSD finally did this move. It makes my life as a (ports) contributor damn much easier :cool:

I'm really glad FreeBSD finally did this move. It makes my life as a (ports) contributor damn much easier :cool:
Me too. I fully drank the Git Kool-aid almost a decade ago. Seriously, though, it is so much better than anything else I've ever used. I'm willing to spend a fair amount of time helping others make the switch.

I think the wording in this command is unnecessarily negative – although it was the same word in svn IIRC 😏

Crivens, you know, the "master" branch has already fallen for that. Sure, makes sense, cause a "master" in IT is directly connected to slavery, right? 🤪

But about the blame subcommand, I'd really prefer a more neutral wording, like e.g. "attribute". Not for political correctnes. Just because you might use this tool for something other than "blame" a bug on some (poor) idiot who introduced it. :cool:

Don't ever let negative feelings creep up in your team 😏 – so there's no alias for "blame" in git? :eek:
But seriously, I don't care too much. Blame me for "my" bugs, that's perfectly ok :cool:

I don't care too much about being politically correct in UNIX commands... /bin/kill, git blame, typos in /bin/fsck... :p The guy who invented Git in the first place, he had to take a sensitivity training class! For me, things have to work, and logic has to add up to something sensible.

For me, the best part about git is that it can be as simple or as fancy as you want it to be, and still remain reasonably consistent.

I have to say that git might be a bit of jumping on the bandwagon. Using git because Linux did and no other reason. There are still detractors who have a point. The only reason I started using it, years ago, is cause I had a project that required it and they only started using it because...because....errrr...uh...they don't know.

I have to say that git might be a bit of jumping on the bandwagon. Using git because Linux did and no other reason. There are still detractors who have a point. The only reason I started using it, years ago, is cause I had a project that required it and they only started using it because...because....errrr...uh...they don't know.
Yeah, bandwagon effect is part of it, but you gotta have some substance behind the popularity. I don't think that Git could have reached that point (where it can count on the bandwagon effect to provide the steam) without addressing Subversion's shortcomings. Heck, we even have a Git how-to on these forums by ShelLuser ... and he'd know how to squeeze the juice out of git and make it really work for its keep on the FreeBSD project.

Sometimes I'm still amazed.
This is just awesome.
Bias most definitely goes into effect here but I agree (what a surprise...). I got sucked into this one a long time ago and with all due respect (this may sound off to some): if you ask me what the best thing is that came out of the Linux project then my response would be "Git". No disrespect intended, I'm well aware that other areas managed to provide impressive things as well, but....

See, the Linux kernel as a whole is pretty cool. Now look at the Linux kernel documentation and... well, you may not be as much impressed anymore.

Now look at the Git documentation? When I saw that stuff at first I honestly wondered if Linux merged with FreeBSD somehow. Because those manual pages, the documentation, and whole setup, that's what I'd expect from FreeBSD, not Linux. And yet it happened.

Oh, by the way, I fully "blame" (naah, just kidding!) astyle for my little vent here 😎

Back