Solved Just a simple quick mount a partiton to take a peek...

this is so frustrating with FreeBSD
I only want to mount a EFI partiton to take a look inside for some information, nope not as easy as sudo mount /dev/ada1p1 /mnt
Code:
$ sudo mount_msdosfs /dev/ada1p1 /mnt
mount_msdosfs: /dev/ada1p1: Invalid argument
userx@FreeBSD.edy:~
$ sudo mount -t msdos  /dev/ada1p1 /mnt
$ file -s /dev/ada1p1
/dev/ada1p1: DOS/MBR boot sector, code offset 0x52+2, OEM-ID "NTFS    ", sectors/cluster 8, Media descriptor 0xf8, sectors/track 63, heads 255, hidden sectors 2048, dos < 4.0 BootSector (0x80), FAT (1Y bit by descriptor); NTFS, sectors/track 63, sectors 90669048, $MFT start cluster 4, $MFTMirror start cluster 6619647, bytes/RecordSegment 2^(-1*246), clusters/index block 1, serial number 02739c9745025e0c4
$ sudo mount -t msdos -o ro   /dev/ada1p1 /mnt
it is a gpt table btw, so what is the magic formula for this one?

this is the PCIe stick
Code:
$ fstyp -lu /dev/ada1p1
ntfs

$ fstyp -lu /dev/ada1p2
ext2fs

$ fstyp -lu /dev/ada1p3
ext2fs

$ fstyp -lu /dev/ada1p4
ext2fs stores

$ fstyp -lu /dev/ada1p5
fstyp: /dev/ada1p5: filesystem not recognized

$ fstyp -lu /dev/ada1p6
msdosfs

$ fstyp -lu /dev/ada1p7
ufs

$ fstyp -lu /dev/ada1p8
fstyp: /dev/ada1p8: filesystem not recognized

there is suppose to be a efi partition on that stick. now I got to actaully boot into Linux to see what the $(*@$@$ IS going on.

-------------------- UPDATE---------------------

okay I was thinking my first setup this one I forgot I put it down on dev/sdb6 or ada1p6 this time. but I am in Linux now. so..... it is already mounted so I can just ls the dir tree ...

FreeBSD and linux, win10 use seperate efi partitions.

FreeBSD and linux, win10 use seperate efi partitions.
Are you sure about this? They should all go on one FAT partition. Booting the different EFI files is a problem but some BIOS allow you to chose.
You can use grub2 to load the various EFI OS's as well. All the various EFI loader files will reside under a /boot/ directory on the FAT partition.
So you can mount it with mount -t msdosfs /dev/ada0p1 /mnt

/dev/ada1p1: DOS/MBR boot sector, code offset 0x52+2, OEM-ID "NTFS
So viewing this -it is a NTFS partition that Windows has created.
That scheme will not work because you need FUSE to bring up NTFS and this partition is needed for boot which is way before FUSE module would be loaded. FreeBSD base includes FAT support so that is why we use FAT for UEFI booting.
Windows EFI loader file can be put on a FAT partition you create with another OS.
Why are you using /dev/ada1 for mounting? You should be using the first disk for simplicity.

yeah, FreeBSD made its own fat16 and I had fat32 already with windows and gave FreeBSD the rest of the drive at the end. But yeah I am rsync'ing so I cannot jump back into FreeBSD to check commands to mount at the moment.

ada1 is my PCIe 240ish something GB drive that I used to put OSes on and the 500GB for storage. seems only logical to use the lesser for OSes, and this BIOS said it is a secondary drive if I have a ATA plugged in too. it switches it to the secondary drive.

I am not saying that a separate EFI partition for each OS will not work. But I believe you can place all the EFI loaders on one FAT partition if desired.

I am not saying that a separate EFI partition for each OS will not work. But I believe you can place all the EFI loaders on one FAT partition if desired.
I'e read something where someone freaked out because FreeBSD and whatever else were using two separate efi partition, I know FreeBSD needs fat16 and as far as I know win needs fat 32. it works its fine, I am not going to mess with it, I already had enough of trying to get this to work lke ti should with the BIOS only to find out that it is setup to hard default to boot a Windows system, everything and anything else it doesn't let it use the default boot dir. making the efibootmgr completely obsolete on my system.

though instead it gives a custom boot path, what is where I tied in Slackware grub.efi file and it is firt in boot order, FreeBSD too gets its own selection if i bring up the list, so I can still get it to that way and my BIOS also has a boot from efi file where I can travel down it until I find which ever systems efi file I need to boot it.

so I am good on options on how to get into one of these OSes.

thanks.

yeah it was operator error.
Code:
$ sudo mount -t msdosfs /dev/ada1p6 /mnt
$ ls /mnt EFI

Back