Java for firefox 3.6

mgp said:
you could try with java/openjdk6

Is there a FAQ/walkthrough somewhere for getting openjdk to work? I've got Flash 10 working in Firefox 3.5 but haven't managed to get Java working yet.

mgp said:
What's the problem with openjdk? It should work. Do you have problems compiling the port?
No problems compiling, but the plugin doesn't appear in about:plugins in Firefox.

FreeBSD 8-RELEASE
openjdk6-b17_1
firefox-3.5.7,1

sremick said:
No problems compiling, but the plugin doesn't appear in about:plugins in Firefox.

FreeBSD 8-RELEASE
openjdk6-b17_1
firefox-3.5.7,1

Because openjava is not a plugin; it does not work with firefox ( at least not now).

everypot said:
Because openjava is not a plugin; it does not work with firefox ( at least not now).

Well this is a serious problem, as the Diablo builds only go up to update 7, and Firefox 3.6 requires update 10.

Unfortunately, the situation is the same. If I have to use java in my browser, I use seamonkey. A crappy situation, all around.

Adam

Seeker said:
I've installed openjdk6-b20_1, how can I make it work with FF 3.6

You can't, since openjdk doesn't have a plugin.

With Opera?

I think you can point opera to the java executable somewhere in it's preferences, but I don't remember exactly.

Adam

I see, so to cut it short, one needs to use FF 3.5 with java or simply wait with FF 3.6 for new java to be released for BSD

sremick said:
Well this is a serious problem, as the Diablo builds only go up to update 7, and Firefox 3.6 requires update 10.

Ive been wondering about that for a while, why they have yet to release anything for the new FreeBSD versions. It was like that months ago and it has not changed.:\

I've seen tests of people trying to get an openjdk based plugin working but can't recall where. One might contact one of them and see what help is needed.

Back