Jails in zroot/jails or zroot/ROOT/default/jails?

I've always created a zfs filesystem for each jail under zroot/jails or zroot/usr/jails. I've used beadm for the host, and relied only on periodic snapshots for the jails.

But today it occurred to me that if I put them under zroot/ROOT/default/jails I can use beadm to create boot environments for both the host and jails at the same time. This way I could reboot to quickly recover from an upgrade gone wrong. But on the other hand, I wouldn't reboot to recover if the upgrade failed on just one jail. Like when I recently had to roll back one of the jails to 10.3 because it turned out a port was no longer available.

Please tell me if this is a stupid idea before I implement it on my servers :)

Like when I recently had to roll back one of the jails to 10.3 because it turned out a port was no longer available.

You had to roll back one of your jails to 10.3-RELEASE. Had your jail been in a boot environment, you'd have ended up rolling back all your jails, plus your host to 10.3-RELEASE, because the boot environment encompasses all datasets underneath zroot/ROOT.

sysutils/beadm is basically just a wrapper script that manages ZFS clones, and its primary purpose is so that you can always boot up a working system if the system is production-critical and downtime is at a premium. (It has other practical uses, but that's the primary one.) You could manually clone your jails before upgrades if need be: if an upgrade goes bad and the jail needs to come up ASAP, just unmount the broken jail and mount the clone. This is basically all beadm does: it creates a clone of a dataset tree, then "activates" it by setting the bootfs= property on the root of that tree so that the cloned datasets are mounted on the next boot.

• Thanks
Reactions: oed
Yes, you're right. What appeared to be a good idea last night when I was tired, doesn't anymore. The only good use-case I came up with last night doesn't even make sense, since you'd never start upgrading the jails until the host had been successfully upgraded first. Thanks, and never mind.

Back