Jailing Firefox .....Getting error .... Can't proceed

Four requirements must match to make the script run cleanly:
  1. Execution permission for updater.sh ( chmod 700 updater.sh)
  2. Jails /tmp directory must have write permission for 'others' (updater.sh is creating some temporary files there).
    # chmod 757 /zroot/jails/firefox/root/tmp (or chmod 777)
  3. The jail must be running, start jail 'firefox'.
  4. The script must be executed inside jails chroot environment.
    On host, as root, chroot as user 'firefox', into user 'firefox's home directory, into jail 'firefox':
    # jexec -l -U firefox firefox
Execute script, exit chroot, revoke jails /tmp directory's write permissions ( chmod 755).

Alternatively to point #4, place updater.sh in /zroot/jails/firefox/root/home/firefox/bin, run on host as root
# jexec -U firefox firefox updater.sh. Make sure the permission is set to execute and owner:group is firefox:firefox.

T-Daemon
I don't what what went wrong. Now can't even install addons.

Making it read only off has no effect.
Code:
zfs set readonly=on zroot/jails/firefox/root

At first I thought the mozilla addon server is down but then I launched the Firefox which is installed on the host. I was able to install addons normally.

ksnip_20220227-161831.png

Making it read only off has no effect.
Code:
zfs set readonly=on zroot/jails/firefox/root
Here readonly=on|off has only effect on zroot/jails/firefox/root, not on zroot/jails/firefox/home where the 'firefox' users home resides.

Only the jails root dataset is read only. The jails home dataset and following automatically created directory and sub-directory firefox/Downloads are writable:
Code:
# zfs get -r readonly zroot/jails/firefox
NAME PROPERTY VALUE SOURCE
zroot/jails/firefox readonly off default
zroot/jails/firefox/home readonly off default
zroot/jails/firefox/root readonly on local
zroot/jails/firefox/tmp readonly off default
zroot/jails/firefox/var readonly off default

You may have connection, not write permission problems. Check the connection from the jail. Do normal internet pages load?

Here readonly=on|off has only effect on zroot/jails/firefox/root, not on zroot/jails/firefox/home where the 'firefox' users home resides.
You may have connection, not write permission problems. Check the connection from the jail. Do normal internet pages load?
Yes all the pages like Youtube, Facebook, etc are loading fine.
When I try to download any file this happens. So there's definitely some permission issues.

ksnip_20220227-193511.png

T-Daemon
I have 3 Firefox profiles. I just found that this permission issue is happening in 2 profiles out of 3. I can install addons on 1 profile as usual.

I tried

Code:
# jexec -l firefox
Code:
# chown -R firefox:firefox /usr/home/firefox/

but still cant install addons on download any file on the above mentioned one profile.

I am sure this a simple permission issue.

Check the search bit ('x', see chmod(1)) of the directories from the profile in question. chroot(8) to 'firefox' user of jail 'firefox':
Code:
host # jexec -l -U firefox firefox

jail $ ls -lR .mozilla/firefox/<profile> | grep ^d

All directories of the owner should be drwx.... Sample:
Code:
drwxr-xr-x  2  firefox  firefox  ...

Permissions look good. Was the addon installation and file download issue present from the beginning with those profiles or did it happened after some time?

Not sure what to suggest further, maybe update www/firefox to latest version available from repository and try the following recommendations:

In case of addons you could try saving the addon to file (*.xpi, right click on "Add to Firefox" button, save to file), then install from file in about:addons

Was the addon installation and file download issue present from the beginning with those profiles or did it happened after some time?
It happened after sometime. Frankly speaking this is disappointing. Creating this Jail wasn't easy. All credit does to you.
Q) Running Firefox inside a Jail Vs Running Firefox inside a Virtualbox VM ..... Why provides more isolation ?
Host : FreeBSD
VM : FreeBSD / Linux

Frankly speaking this is disappointing. Creating this Jail wasn't easy.
It's hard to tell where the problem exactly lies, but the indication that 1 of 3 profiles has no problems, I would say, puts the blame on the Firefox profile, not the jail.

I've tested the jail (in a VirtualBox VM) and have no problems whatsoever regarding saving files and installing addons.

Q) Running Firefox inside a Jail Vs Running Firefox inside a Virtualbox VM ..... Why provides more isolation ?
Looking at the vulnerability lists of both systems, in all good conscious, I can't speak for one system or the other.
VirtualBox:
Search for 'jail':
and recently:

Looking at the vulnerability lists of both systems, in all good conscious, I can't speak for one system or the other.
That's extremely depressing. What's the best way to keep personal data isolated ? So that be it a OS level vulnerability or a browser exploit my personal data is safe ?

What kind of personal data?
By personal data I mean everything that I have stored locally like family photos, songs, videos, my KeePassXC database, etc.

Edit: I just moved the .mozilla folder from the jail to the host's home, ran the update.sh script and then moved it back to the jail. This is not ideal but doable.

There is no 100% safety from exploits on computers. You can secure a system as much as you want there will be always a way to circumvent the security.

I'm no expert on this topic, but if I where concerned of the security of personal data, to minimize the surface for exploits, I would full disk encrypt the system to make it inaccessible when the machine is powered down.

When the machine is powered up, I would isolate the personal data in an encrypted container, mount it as necessary.

On FreeBSD geli(8) from system base is available, with OpenZFS encrypted datasets can be created, third party utilities are sysutils/pefs-kmod and security/veracrypt.

Back