Jailed VirtualBox

I am wondering if anyone has managed to get virtualbox headless working in a jail with multiple virtual machines.

Thanks

Hi,

I do have virtual box 4.2 (from redports.org) running headless in a jail with a VNC console. I haven't tested extensively with multiple VMs running (just one Windows 7 VM) but there is an rc script that lets VBoxSVC start multiple VMs on jail startup. Do you have issues with stability or configuration? The only tricky bits are
* Make the /dev/vbox* nodes visible in the jail using a devfs ruleset
* Install the VNC extpack by hand (may have been fixed now)
* Using sparse zvols as raw devices caused stability issues

Let me know if you need more info.

gkontos said:
I am wondering if anyone has managed to get virtualbox headless working in a jail with multiple virtual machines.
Thanks

ziyanm said:
Make the /dev/vbox* nodes visible in the jail using a devfs ruleset

Adding
Code:
add path '*vbox*' unhide
to /etc/defaults/devfs.rules allows to run multiple machines within a jailed VirtualBox.

Thank you guys!

Ok, it works perfect! Just a minor input, I had to add the following:

Code:
jail_sysvipc_allow="YES"

Hm, I was actually wrong - FreeBSD does create these DSFs, but only for sparse ones. I'm running Solaris 11.1 under VirtualBox on FreeBSD host using rawdisk as specified in that howto. There's only one difference - registerimage subcommand does not exist.
I've attached this disk the usual way:

Code:
VBoxManage storageattach sun01 --storagectl SATActl --type hdd --port 0 --device 0 --medium /local/vbox/sun01/sun01.vmdk

Where vmdk was created by internalcommands subcommand mapping to /dev/zvol/zroot/lun/vbox-sun-lun00 DSF. Prior to this command I had to change the ownership so vbox user could read/write to it.

So far, so good, no stability problems. This disk can't be expanded though. Currently only VDI/VHD formats are supported and internalcommands creates VMDK. I see more changes were done to VirtualBox recently, it's time to read manual once again :).

Back