vbox Jail with Networking in FreeBSD virtualbox Guest

i have done the virtualisation part but cant seem to get networking going with jails inside a freebsd virtualbox guest i have selected bridged networking in virtualbox settings created a bridge0 in freebsd ifconfig create bridge - do i need to have a static ip to the virtualbox program
but kinda a little lost from there

I've been struggling with this since early December 2023 with no success. Virtualbox running on a Windows 10 machine. FreeBSD 14.0 guest running inside Virtualbox. I set up a VNET jail. Trying many incantations and how-tos I found (many are simply wrong), I can ping outside the jail as far as the FreeBSD/Virtualbox interface (em0) but not beyond onto the LAN or the internet. The FreeBSD host can easily ping out to the LAN and to the internet at large. I've studied the routing tables until I'm nearly blind. Demoralized, I set it aside for a while but am going to try to tackle it again shortly.

If you solve this, please let me know.

Yes with zero effect. I've tried so many combinations that I became lost.

I'll make sure to try it again but hold out little hope that it will work. But of course I'll report back if it makes a difference now.

In the configuration, Network / Advanced of your VM, have you allowed promiscuous mode?
I've finally made some progress. The Promiscuous Mode was one component of the problem with Virtualbox. It needs to be set to "Allow All". I was only "Allowing VMs". The second issue was my misunderstanding how the if_bridge interface works in relation to its members. The physical interface's IP address needs to be transferred to the bridge. In my case since I'm using Virtualbox I need to have the bridge interface acquire a LAN IP address via DHCP. I have both those components working. Now to use the standard toolset to build and activate a VNET jail and see if I can ping the world.

Soldiering on... (and thank you for prodding me)

Back