Jail binary upgrade

Hello I have upgrade my host to 12.1, which seems to work fine. Now I'm trying to update my jails via this command.

Code:
freebsd-update -b /zroot/jails/box --currently-running 12.0-RELEASE -r 12.1-RELEASE fetch install

There is no error if I'm doing this , but If I start the jail again. The jails think it runs an old one ? I don't know how this should be possible , because the jail uses the kernel from the host right ?

All my jails are created as fulljails. "Jails the hard way"

Code:
root@box:/ # pkg-static install -f pkg
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
pkg-static: Repository FreeBSD has a wrong packagesite, need to re-create database
[box] Fetching meta.conf: 100%    163 B   0.2kB/s    00:01
[box] Fetching packagesite.txz: 100%    6 MiB   2.2MB/s    00:03
Processing entries:   0%
Newer FreeBSD version for package gpgme-qt5:
To ignore this error set IGNORE_OSVERSION=yes
- package: 1201000
- running kernel: 1200086
Ignore the mismatch and continue? [Y/n]: ^Cpkg-static:
signal received, cleaning up

root@box:/ # uname -k
uname: illegal option -- k
usage: uname [-aiKmnoprsUv]
root@box:/ # uname -K

Any suggestions?

HOST:
Code:
BSD  sharky@freebsd  ~                                                                                                 6511
╰─ uname -U
BSD  sharky@freebsd  ~                                                                                                 6512
╰─ uname -K
Jail:
Code:
root@box:/ # uname -K
root@box:/ # uname -U

I think I got it. If i ran freebsd-update -b /zroot/jails/box --currently-running 12.0-RELEASE -r 12.1-RELEASE fetch install

from the host

It only updates the kernel and not world/base world/doc world/lib32 .

Do I hit a bug or is that intended ?

I would like to share my experience.

Update from the host works perfectly ....

Code:
freebsd-update -b /usr/local/jails/unifi --currently-running 12.0-RELEASE -r 12.1-RELEASE upgrade

freebsd-update -b /usr/local/jails/unifi --currently-running 12.0-RELEASE -r 12.1-RELEASE install

freebsd-update -b /usr/local/jails/unifi --currently-running 12.0-RELEASE -r 12.1-RELEASE install

mount -t devfs devfs /usr/local/jails/unifi/dev

pkg --chroot /usr/local/jails/unifi/ install -y pkg

pkg --chroot /usr/local/jails/unifi/ upgrade -f

Start the jail

The highlighted options are superfluous in that context, and they won’t be respected. --currently-running is useful when upgrading jails, done with the upgrade command and option -r is valid with the upgrade command only, see freebsd-update(8).

The following doesn't work for me. It installs kernel and update some files (like master.passwd) but don't update userland binaries.
Code:
freebsd-update -b /jails/${jail}/ --currently-running 12.1-RELEASE -r 12.3-RELEASE upgrade
freebsd-update -b /jails/${jail}/ install
freebsd-update -b /jails/${jail}/ install

JFYI:
freebsd-update -j jailname -r 13.1-RELEASE upgrade
The '-j jailname' then detects '--currently-running bla-REL' so therefor becomes unneeded to specify.

Back