Issues with wireless connection

Hi, hope everybody is enjoying a better day than I have so far. I recently installed FreeBSD 10.2 in a Toshiba Satellite C50-A.
After installation I wanted to get connected to the internet so I issued the command
ifconfig

then the output showed this
Code:
alc0: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
                     options=c319a<TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING, VLAN_HWCSUM, TSO4,WOL_MCAST,WOL_MAGIC,VLAN_HWTSO,LINKSTATE>
ether 00:8c:fa:a0:b1:41
nd6 options=29<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
media: Ethernet autoselect

I then edited /boot/loader.conf and added the line
Code:
if_alc_load="YES"

and I also edited /etc/rc.conf and added the line
Code:
wlans_alc="wlan0"

but I cant get connected to the internet. Can please somebody point out what I am doing wrong. Thank you I will appreciate it.

wlans_alc="wlan0"
should be wlans_alc0="wlan0"

I then edited /boot/loader.conf and added the line
That's not necessary. The driver is compiled into the GENERIC kernel. That's also why you already saw alc0 in the ifconfig output before doing that. :)

The handbook has a section about setting up your WLAN card: https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/network-wireless.html. Make sure to replace ath0 with alc0 when copying from there.

EDIT: Ah sorry, scratch all that. alc(4) is not a wifi driver. Can you post the output of pciconf -lv so that we can determine the correct driver for you?

Thank you I appreciate that. When I do pciconf -lv I get:
Code:
alc0@pci0:1:0:0:     class=0x020000 card=0xff1e1179 chip=0x10901969 rev=0x10 hdr=0x00
                                          vendor    = 'Atheros Communications Inc.'
                                          device    = 'AR8162 Fast Ethernet'
                                          class      =  network
                                          subclass  = ethernet
none2@pci0:2:0:0:         class=0x02800  card=0x019110ec  chip=0x817910ec rev=0x01 hdr=0x00
                                       vendor ='Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.'
                                        class   = network

Thank you for checking. It is unfortunately, for now I will be able to get connected by using a USB wireless adapter. Although my problem is solved by using the adapter I hope FreeBSD includes native support in future releases for the actual wireless card in the laptop.

If somebody is wondering the USB adapter I bought is the TP-LINK TL-WN725N from Amazon and I used this instructions to make it work https://vzaigrin.wordpress.com/2014/04/14/how-to-setup-usb-wifi-on-raspberry-pi-with-freebsd/

Thank you.

Thank you for checking. It is unfortunately, for now I will be able to get connected by using a USB wireless adapter. Although my problem is solved by using the adapter I hope FreeBSD includes native support in future releases for the actual wireless card in the laptop.

If somebody is wondering the USB adapter I bought is the TP-LINK TL-WN725N from Amazon and I used this instructions to make it work https://vzaigrin.wordpress.com/2014/04/14/how-to-setup-usb-wifi-on-raspberry-pi-with-freebsd/
Thank you.
Unfortunately, most wireless vendors are reluctant to disclose details of their products making it difficult for developers to write a proper driver for many cards :(

Unfortunately, most wireless vendors are reluctant to disclose details of their products making it difficult for developers to write a proper driver for many cards :(

That's because the vendors do not sell wireless chips to the customers but products that the customers can identify by make and model.

Back