Issues with running Firefox after major Release Upgrade

Hi

Facing issues with firefox after release upgrade from 12.3 to 13.2.

When i run firefox i get following screens & then it evaporates!

Thanks
rraj

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-08-27_15-57-18.png
    Screenshot_2023-08-27_15-57-18.png
    18.9 KB · Views: 117
  • Screenshot_2023-08-27_15-58-07.png
    Screenshot_2023-08-27_15-58-07.png
    63.1 KB · Views: 122
It's more or less what I experienced. Firefox doesn't get along with W^X apparently. To avoid disabling W^X, just enable Firefox's executable to bypass it:
# elfctl -e +wxneeded /usr/local/lib/firefox/firefox

It's more or less what I experienced. Firefox doesn't get along with W^X apparently. To avoid disabling W^X, just enable Firefox's executable to bypass it:
# elfctl -e +wxneeded /usr/local/lib/firefox/firefox
Now i am getting a missing firefox profile pop-up.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-08-28_08-54-02.png
    Screenshot_2023-08-28_08-54-02.png
    13.5 KB · Views: 60
Hi

Restarted pkg-static upgrade -f, this time it completed though with same warnings & errors!

Renamed old profile in firefox & created a new one by restart.

Now firefox opens but evaporates when i try to use it.

Thanks
rraj

Hi

Restarted pkg-static upgrade -f, this time it completed though with same warnings & errors!

Now i get profile missing pop-up when starting firefox.

Thanks
rraj
Until it is not resolved, everytime you upgrade/reinstall Firefox you'll have to "re-mark" its executable.
About the missing/inaccessible profile, check if everything is right in ~/.mozilla.

Can you check dmesg logs or run firefox from the terminal to see what it says when it crashes.
Hi

Running firefox from terminal gives output as given below:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Code:
root@localhost:~ # firefox
console.error: ({})
[Parent 3266, Main Thread] WARNING: invalid (NULL) pointer instance: 'glib warning', file /wrkdirs/usr/ports/www/firefox/work/firefox-117.0/toolkit/xre/nsSigHandlers.cpp:167

(firefox:3266): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 16:56:36.689: invalid (NULL) pointer instance
[Parent 3266, Main Thread] WARNING: g_signal_emit_by_name: assertion 'G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed: 'glib warning', file /wrkdirs/usr/ports/www/firefox/work/firefox-117.0/toolkit/xre/nsSigHandlers.cpp:167

(firefox:3266): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 16:56:36.689: g_signal_emit_by_name: assertion 'G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed
[Parent 3266, Main Thread] WARNING: invalid (NULL) pointer instance: 'glib warning', file /wrkdirs/usr/ports/www/firefox/work/firefox-117.0/toolkit/xre/nsSigHandlers.cpp:167

(firefox:3266): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 16:56:36.689: invalid (NULL) pointer instance
[Parent 3266, Main Thread] WARNING: g_signal_emit_by_name: assertion 'G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed: 'glib warning', file /wrkdirs/usr/ports/www/firefox/work/firefox-117.0/toolkit/xre/nsSigHandlers.cpp:167

(firefox:3266): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 16:56:36.689: g_signal_emit_by_name: assertion 'G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

Exiting due to channel error.
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

And [cmd]dmesg[/cmd] output:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
root@localhost:~ # dmesg -a | grep firefox
pid 83165 (firefox), jid 0, uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)
pid 94977 (firefox), jid 0, uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)
pid 3266 (firefox), jid 0, uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maxnix Profile recreated.

Thanks
rraj

Last edited by a moderator:
same here. 117.0 crashes for me with the same messages on current/15
installing the older versions helps

Have you also tried firefox-esr to see if it's showing the same behavior?
Yes firefox-esr works but it means you loose all your passwords etc.
Meanwhile the source problem causing 117.0 to fail with the same message as rraj reports above, continues.

Hi

firefox version upgrade to 118.x, still same issue & error while running firefox from terminal.

Thanks
rraj

you can start the `-esr` version from the terminal and use `firefox --allow-downgrade &` to tell it to not be so silly, and just re-use the profile you have. obviously do a backup of your profiles first in case bad stuff happens. In more than a decade of doing this or the older environment variable `MOZ_ALLOW_DOWNGRADE=1` I've never had an actual problem.

At commit e38b3857f20acc9b1db1f0e2faf416c7b46e73a8 on ports main branch, wasi-* were reorganized and 12 through 17 are available now.
With this commit, llvm used to build firefox is unlocked from 13.
On Bug 273291, building firefox using llvm15 or 16 is reported to fix the crash (current default is llvm15 and corresponding wasi-*).
Unfortunately, this commit is not yet merged into 2023Q4 branch.

• Thanks
Reactions: 0ld
I never heard of wasi before today, I guess that these things are related:
wasi-* are runtime and libraries for wasm, used in conjunction with LLVM.
Even if wasi-* themselves were OK, they indirectly causing the issue.
wasi-* need to be in sync with used llvm version and wasi-* on FreeBSD ports were stuck for llvm13 for a long time, while upstream had newer version.
Unfortunately, firefox depends on wasi-* ports, causing stuck with (maybe problematic with this issue) LLVM13. Fortunately, now they are updated to support LLVM12 through 17 with corresponding ports.

Yes it was working again by version 120, though I don't know if that's due to the firefox port or something else.
This is reported at Comment 42 of Bug 273291 by Ken DEGUCHI and also Comment 43 of the same Bug by me. Each of which uses llvm16 and 15 (default) respectively, with -O3 optimization.
These became possible by commit e38b3857f20acc9b1db1f0e2faf416c7b46e73a8 which renewed wasi-* ports structure and supports llvm12 through 17, while previously stuck with llvm13 only.
Maybe llvm13 or corresponding wasi-* had the problem.

Hi

Sorry for late reply!

pkg upgrade/install to version 121.x does not resolve issue.

Trying to build from ports (118.x) to see whether that resolves the issue.

Thanks
rraj

Back