Issues with Nvidia on a fresh 10.3 install

I just installed a fresh 10.3 and attempted to install my graphics driver with
pkg install nvidia-driver

I got this in response:

Code:
[64/65] Installing linux_base-c6-6.7_1...
sysctl: unknown oid 'compat.linux.osrelease'
linuxulator is not (kld)loaded, exiting
pkg: PRE-INSTALL script failed
[64/65] Extracting linux_base-c6-6.7_1: 100%

+++ Some programs may need linprocfs, please add it to /etc/fstab! +++

Running linux ldconfig...
ELF binary type "3" not known.
/compat/linux/sbin/ldconfig: Exec format error
[65/65] Installing nvidia-driver-346.96...
[65/65] Extracting nvidia-driver-346.96: 100%
ELF binary type "3" not known.
/compat/linux/sbin/ldconfig: Exec format error

Why am I getting these errors on a fresh install? Should I have done something before installing the driver?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea I saw that but I didn't think it was correct because I didn't think I needed the Linux compatibility layer to install an Nvidia driver. Shouldn't it have installed the Linux compatibility layer if it needed it anyway? I couldn't find anywhere where it said you had to do that before installing the driver as well. So should I uninstall it, install the compatibility layer, and reinstall it? I have fairly current nvidia driver.

The Nvidia driver has a dependency on Linux by default. That's most likely the reason that the Linuxulator needs to be installed and running.

This can be toggled in the make config.

The Nvidia driver has a dependency on Linux by default. That's most likely the reason that the Linuxulator needs to be installed and running.

This can be toggled in the make config.
In that case, should I uninstall it, install linux compat, then reinstall it? Also, If it's a dependency shouldn't pkg be installing it itself?

In that case, should I uninstall it, install linux compat, then reinstall it?
Yes, exactly. That is, if you don't want to compile it yourself without Linux support.

Also, If it's a dependency shouldn't pkg be installing it itself?
From your log, that's exactly what pkg tries to do! But it can't because the kernel module isn't loaded. pkg will not attempt to automatically change the configuration of your running OS/kernel.

Yes, exactly. That is, if you don't want to compile it yourself without Linux support.

From your log, that's exactly what pkg tries to do! But it can't because the kernel module isn't loaded. pkg will not attempt to automatically change the configuration of your running OS/kernel.
Ahh, I see. Thank you sir.

Back