Solved Issue with mailman

Hi,
I am using FreeBSD 11.1-RELEASE-p9.
I just switched from ports to packages, and I noticed this issue with mail/mailman:

Code:
Apr 13 10:00:41 mail Mailman mail-wrapper: Group mismatch error.  Mailman expected the mail#012wrapper script to be executed as group "mailnull", but#012the system's mail server executed the mail script as#012group "mailman".  Try tweaking the mail server to run the#012script as group "mailnull", or re-run configure, #012providing the command line option `--with-mail-gid=mailman'.

If I understand well, I need to reconfigure mail/postfix (my MTA) in order to run with gid "mailnull".
Correct?
Or.. should I use port only for mailman and use specific uid/gid? It seems those parameters are hardcoded into software

https://wiki.list.org/DOC/Understanding group mismatch errors - how mailman implements security

Thank you

It depend how did you build the mailman. If it's installed with group mailman then you can add the user postfix into the same group using the following command
pw usermod postfix -G mailman

Actually I use mailman binary package.
I see it runs as "mailman" user and, I guess, mailman group:

Code:
root@mail:~# ls -l /usr/local/mailman
total 156
drwxrwsr-x  11 root  mailman   4096 Apr 11 19:48 Mailman
drwxrwsr-x   4 root  mailman    512 Feb 21 09:51 archives
drwxrwsr-x   4 root  mailman    512 Aug  3  2015 archives-dist
drwxrwsr-x   2 root  mailman   3072 Apr 11 19:48 bin
drwxrwsr-x   2 root  mailman   1024 Apr 11 19:48 cgi-bin
drwxrwsr-x   2 root  mailman    512 Apr 12 03:27 cron
drwxrwsr-x   2 root  mailman  76800 Apr 13 08:00 data
drwxrwsr-x   2 root  mailman    512 Aug  3  2015 data-dist
drwxrwsr-x   2 root  mailman   1024 Apr 11 19:48 icons
drwxrwsr-x  17 root  mailman    512 Feb 21 09:51 lists
drwxrwsr-x   2 root  mailman    512 Aug  3  2015 lists-dist
drwxrwsr-x   2 root  mailman    512 Apr 13 16:07 locks
drwxrwsr-x   2 root  mailman    512 Feb 21 09:51 logs
drwxrwsr-x   2 root  mailman    512 Apr 11 19:48 mail
drwxrwsr-x  40 root  mailman    512 Feb 21 09:51 messages
drwxrwsr-x   2 root  mailman    512 Feb 21 09:51 pythonlib
drwxrwsr-x  11 root  mailman    512 Feb 21 09:51 qfiles
drwxrwsr-x   2 root  mailman   1024 Apr 11 19:48 scripts
drwxrwsr-x   2 root  mailman    512 Feb 21 09:51 spam
drwxrwsr-x  41 root  mailman    512 Feb 21 09:51 templates
drwxrwsr-x   4 root  mailman   1024 Apr 11 19:48 tests

Maybe is mailman package built with sendmail MTA instead of postfix?

Code:
root@mail:~# grep mail /etc/master.passwd 
smmsp:*:25:25::0:0:Sendmail Submission User:/var/spool/clientmqueue:/usr/sbin/nologin
mailnull:*:26:26::0:0:Sendmail Default User:/var/spool/mqueue:/usr/sbin/nologin
mailman:*:91:91::0:0:Mailman User:/usr/local/mailman:/usr/sbin/nologin

Install the mailman via ports. Be sure the postfix option is selected (make config) Then READ /usr/local/share/doc/mailman/FreeBSD-post-install-notes

3.3) Postfix

The value of MAIL_GID has to be set to 'nobody' (or 65534) when building
the Mailman port, so you have to choose POSTFIX on build options to
set it to you.

NOTE: the group needs to be 'mailman' if you are using the Mailman
integration for generating the postfix virtual and aliases files.

Review the instructions found in mailman-install.txt in the same
directory as this file.

I just noticed this Thread 46461 old thread.. I strongly agree with user viniciusferrao, it would be very useful to have multiple binary package for different MTA (postfix, exim, and so on)..
Or is there any other solution in my case?
Thank you

Forced? If you don't like what the ports collection offers you're free the roll your own, if you're capable of that of course.

I understand why you might find that annoying. Consider the work which would be required of volunteers to maintain different package revisions for different packages. The packages are built with defaults.

I build my own packages every day, after refreshing my copy of the ports tree. I use ports-mgmt/poudriere to do this. To build mail/mailman for mail/postfix, I added these entries to /usr/local/etc/poudriere.d/make.conf:

Code:
mail_mailman_SET+=POSTFIX
mail_mailman_UNSET+=SENDMAIL

This command built the new package repo for me: sudo poudriere bulk -z master-list -p default -j 112amd64 -C mail/mailman

Forced? If you don't like what the ports collection offers you're free the roll your own, if you're capable of that of course.

I think you understood my point :)
I would like to use packages because is less time-consuming (I use FreeBSD on several machines).
In that specific case, I can't rely on package because it lacks some features I need.
So I used port. It is ok. I used in such way since few years, never had a problem with that.
I just know that "mixing packages and ports" generally is not a good idea.

I understand why you might find that annoying. Consider the work which would be required of volunteers to maintain different package revisions for different packages. The packages are built with defaults.

I build my own packages every day, after refreshing my copy of the ports tree. I use ports-mgmt/poudriere to do this. To build mail/mailman for mail/postfix, I added these entries to /usr/local/etc/poudriere.d/make.conf:

Code:
mail_mailman_SET+=POSTFIX
mail_mailman_UNSET+=SENDMAIL

This command built the new package repo for me: sudo poudriere bulk -z master-list -p default -j 112amd64 -C mail/mailman

Hi dvl,
I really appreciate all FreeBSD community and developers.
I know the poudriere way.
In the past, I got a very interesting explaination about it (Thread 66914).
My comprehension is: "if you want to use poudriere, you need to use poudriere for everything and stop using official package repository" (maybe I am wrong).
So I think it is lot of work to build every package I need with poudriere, since my needs belong to just one software.

Thank you very much!!

Yes, I use poudriere for all my package needs. I have never really used packages. I have always installed from ports.

Moving to poudriere made sense because it would build my packages before I needed them. If I need another package not on my list, I build it manually and add it to the list.

circus78 it seems that our requests have been fulfilled:

Code:
root@lakeshire:~ # pkg search mailman
pkg: http://pkg.freebsd.cc.if.ufrj.br/packages/FreeBSD:12:amd64-default/packagesite.pkg: Not Found
mailman-2.1.39_1               Mailing list manager with user-friendly web front-end
mailman-exim4-2.1.39_1         Mailing list manager with user-friendly web front-end
mailman-postfix-2.1.39_1       Mailing list manager with user-friendly web front-end
py39-django-mailman3-1.3.7_3   Libraries and templates for Django-based interfaces interacting with Mailman
py39-mailman-3.3.1_3           GNU Mailing List Management System, Core
py39-mailmanclient-3.3.3       Official Python bindings for the GNU Mailman 3 REST API
mailman-2.1.29_6               Mailing list manager with user-friendly web front-end

Back