Issue mounting Windows share

I am having a problem mounting a Windows share on FreeBSD.

I tried the commands

mount_smbfs -I <IP> //Administration@<IP>/share /mnt/share
mount -t smbfs //Administrator@<IP>/share /mnt/share

I am getting an error:
Code:
smb_co_lock: recursive lock for object 1
Connection reset by peer
Though I am able to connect to the share using smbclient.

Hi

As SirDice said, you probably have mounted it before, but i see another issue in your commands order and arguments.

If you wish to mount shared directories from windows to FBSD with command mount (not mount_smbfs) you should consider to add -o OPTS like below:
mount -t smbfs -o -I=<IP_SRV> //user@host/SHARE /mnt/share
otherwise smbfs will remaind you about getting server address which is required for that operation.

SirDice said:
It's probably already mounted on /mnt/share/.

I checked the /mnt/share folder and it was not mounted, I also tried umount the directory but there was nothing there. I also checked /etc/fstab and there was no entry for it. I also tried rebooting and it does not work.

akil said:
Hi

As SirDice said, you probably have mounted it before, but i see another issue in your commands order and arguments.

If you wish to mount shared directories from windows to FBSD with command mount (not mount_smbfs) you should consider to add -o OPTS like below:
mount -t smbfs -o -I=<IP_SRV> //user@host/SHARE /mnt/share
otherwise smbfs will remaind you about getting server address which is required for that operation.

I tried the commands you gave and I still get the same error.

Right now I think I got it narrowed down that it might be a Windows problem. I am running Windows Server 2008 R2 as the other machine. I tried a fresh install of FreeBSD and installed just Samba with minimal configuration and tried to mount the Windows share again, but it the same error.

YTKColumba said:
I am having a problem mounting a Windows share on FreeBSD.

mount_smbfs -I <IP> //Administration@<IP>/share /mnt/share

1. I think, it is better to use "//administrator@<hostname>" than "//administrator@<IP>"
2. Maybe you have another windows host to test whether you can mount your samba share on it.

Neptune said:
1. I think, it is better to use "//administrator@<hostname>" than "//administrator@<IP>"
2. Maybe you have another windows host to test whether you can mount your samba share on it.

I will try another Windows host and see how it works out. I've also tried using //Administrator@<hostname> and also tried what someone else recommended, which was adding an Administrator user in FreeBSD and Samba. But that does not work.

BTW, is the <hostname> the hostname of the Windows machine or FreeBSD machine? Also in the smb.conf file, does it matter what it used for the "workgroup" and "server string"?

Back