Solved Issue : FreeBSD 11 Stable Install on Lenovo T520

Hi guys (and Gals)

Having issues installing FreeBSD 11 Stable image for memstick. At install all the graphics after the initial menu are duplicated and swashed towards the top of the LCD. Even after install (with lots of squinting) the problem persists. Searches on Google do not produce any hits of other people having this problem. Have reconfigured BIOS Graphics to use internal graphix with no difference. Any help appreciated

H

Attachments

• IMAG0094.jpg
    IMAG0094.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 581
  • IMAG0095.jpg
    IMAG0095.jpg
    300.6 KB · Views: 607
  • IMAG0096.jpg
    IMAG0096.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 600
Last edited:
Press the spacebar when the boot menu appears. Enter mode 0, then boot. You'll need to either manually set the graphics mode that's used at boot, or configure the Intel KMS driver to load during boot. You can manually load that driver with kldload i915kms. I don't think it's possible to use only the Nvidia chip, but then my configuration doesn't have discreet graphics so I can't say.

Judging by the fact that you've never tried FreeBSD and are now going to "try Linux," I presume you're new to the whole Unix thing. If you need help with something then you'll need to patient, rtaher than giving up after an hour. Or better yet, search the web for a solution yourself. You're in a totally different world now.

Press the spacebar when the boot menu appears. Enter mode 0, then boot. You'll need to either manually set the graphics mode that's used at boot, or configure the Intel KMS driver to load during boot. You can manually load that driver with kldload i915kms. I don't think it's possible to use only the Nvidia chip, but then my configuration doesn't have discreet graphics so I can't say.

Judging by the fact that you've never tried FreeBSD and are now going to "try Linux," I presume you're new to the whole Unix thing. If you need help with something then you'll need to patient, rtaher than giving up after an hour. Or better yet, search the web for a solution yourself. You're in a totally different world now.

Correct I am new to UNIX but not totally to LINUX "Will try Linux till a solution is found" - my Comment was more of a "I have already looked for a solution/answer/pointer to a solution, so I will carry on as normal until I can install" I am by no means giving up, just need pointers from the experts ;)

This morning I dug out my old DVD drive and burnt the release 11 DVD iso and all seems to be installing fine now so must be something in the memstick image on USB that gave me my issues.

Using YUMI as a GRUB ISO mount install has no chance as a few forum posts have revealed BSDs love of GRUB :)

Thanks for the input, much appreciated

Press the spacebar when the boot menu appears. Enter mode 0, then boot. . . . . . You're in a totally different world now.

"You are in a different world" is a no brainer, but I like a challenge. Helps when others share their knowledge though, so appreciated.

Installed from CD01 (network Package install)
Install went fine but Console after reboot needs to be mode 0 as you stated.
Hit spacebar did nothing for me, or I was simply not quick enough.
Selected 3 on menu to Bootloader Prompt where the mode 0 was available (type ?)[Change or display EFI text mode] after which screen changed and boot booted into a login prompt : - First Hurdle overcome ;)

Next question is: How to change Keymaping in bootloader but by the looks on the forum it is not as priority

Attachments

• IMAG0098.jpg
    IMAG0098.jpg
    307.5 KB · Views: 483
Adding this to hopefully aid others having issues with T520

Lenovo T520 NVIDIA graphics was a pain with XORG [not recognised by default]
Graphics on T520 (optimus);
0:1:0:0 GF119M Quadra [NVS 4200M]
0:0:2:0 Intel 2nd Gen Integrated
NVIDIA Drivers needed to be downloaded extracted and installed (After xorg install otherwise errors with $ MAKE INSTALL)

Now have MATE running and SLIM

Learning continues

Attachments

• IMAG0105.jpg
    IMAG0105.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 666
Back