Is there anyone still interested in running the Second Life viewer on FreeBSD?

The last post on the Second Life client in this forum dates back in 2020, so there may be none, but if there is, this is a call for test.
  1. Download the port tarball from https://oikumene.que.ne.jp/FreeBSD/
  2. Extract the tarball under ${PORTSDIR}/games. There should be games/secondlifeviewer directory.
  3. Build and install the port.
  4. run /usr/local/bin/secondlife
If there are any problems, report me.
Known issue:
  • The port does not depend on fonts, so you might need to install the fonts the viewer uses by yourself. Check /usr/local/share/secondlifeviewer/skins/default/xui/${LANG}/fonts.xml to see what font files the viewer is asking.
  • Currently, the default is debug build.
  • I went as far as just "logged in", expect there are problems such as sudden SIGSEGV fault, etc.

When the port seems to be robust enough, I will file it to FreeBSD bugzilla.

screenshot-20240614a.png

Nice! I have been running OpenSimulator on FreeBSD for a few years in Grid mode with out any issues. There are a few things that need to be done in the libraries. I'll check out this viewer port soon. Thank you!

I am unable to build the port in Poudriere, it fails while trying to build libndofdev during the Poudriere Configure stage with the following error:
Code:
cd /wrkdirs/usr/ports/games/secondlifeviewer/work/libndofdev-0.14 &&  gmake CFLAGS="-Wall -I/usr/local/include -L/usr/local/lib -std=c23" all
gmake[1]: Entering directory '/wrkdirs/usr/ports/games/secondlifeviewer/work/libndofdev-0.14'
cc -Wall -I/usr/local/include -L/usr/local/lib -std=c23   -c -o ndofdev.o ndofdev.c
cc: warning: argument unused during compilation: '-L/usr/local/lib' [-Wunused-command-line-argument]
error: invalid value 'c23' in '-std=c23'

I tried to build it with and without the Makefile config options enabled and got the same results.

Back