Is there any interest in this? - BASIC compiler for FreeBSD

compilers are my interest I've been designing my own language for over a year now, and have experience with gcc front-end dev.

But if your going to go at building yourself a BASIC compiler from scratch I would urge you not to do that. You may not realise how much work that is and if you don't have good experience in compilers you might find this too difficult. What you should look into is either.

LLVM front-end, or GCC front-end. Because you will end-up with a much much better implementation and you are much more likely to get a lot of users because of the mere fact it is part of those projects and comes with stability and portability.

Well, the FreeBASIC guys are writing a GCC frontend. The compiler already support emitting C code (not as a BASIC to C translator, but more as C-as-assembler-language, with output C looking like perlcc output). While FreeBASIC's compiler can also generate x86 assembler directly, that part of the compiler is depreciated (but I feel that marking it depreciated is dumb, the C emitter is still buggy beta code, and using it causes the compiler to segfault on some code I wrote myself)

Back