Solved Is there an alternate reliable site where one can get assistance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Posted reference to previous post "Automatic reboots on boot attempts"

After posting and waiting about a month for a reply, I am about to bade farewell to FreeBSD. Reluctantly, perhaps and to give Linux a try, after 15 years with FreeBSD.
I have reinstalled this system, repeatedly - including Apache24, MySQL & PHP54 ad infinitum cum nauseam, the latter three compiled from the ports.
I have disabled acpi in the /boot/device.hints file with:
Code:
hint.acpi.0.disabled="1"

The MD5 and SHA512 hashes for the downloaded *.iso file for the Release are correct.
There was some problems initially with the PHP installation but these were overcome.

I DO NOT KNOW WHAT NEXT TO TRY!

Is there another reliable site where one can get assistance?

After posting and waiting about a month for a reply, I am about to bade farewell to FreeBSD. Reluctantly, perhaps and to give Linux a try, after 15 years with FreeBSD.

Don't leave yet! Give this site users more time. Of all the www forums I have participated in this one is the most receptive, friendly, patient, helpful, professional, reliable, etc, etc site ever. I am still a newby myself and thus don't attempt to offer help for risk of causing my bad than good. But someday if I can, I will return the gesture.

I don't know the answer to that problem. If I had a problem like that, I'd back up my data, and reinstall it, and air dust off of my pc parts and make sure no connections are touching in the wrong place.

For me, if it wasn't software related, it's the electricity in my house, dust, a bad connection, or the power supply isn't powerful enough to support intensive tasks.

If it's software related, just save your important data, and reinstall it.

I have reinstalled this system, repeatedly - including Apache24, MySQL & PHP54 ad infinitum cum nauseam, the latter three compiled from the ports.
I have disabled acpi in the /boot/device.hints file with:
Code:
hint.acpi.0.disabled="1"

The MD5 and SHA512 hashes for the downloaded *.iso file for the Release are correct.
There was some problems initially with the PHP installation but these were overcome.

I DO NOT KNOW WHAT NEXT TO TRY!

I checked the thread and it is really difficult to say what is going on. I have several FreeBSD machines with uptime of over a year so from my personal experience FreeBSD is definitely capable of long up times. According to your post you have being using FreeBSD over fifteen years. Somebody with such long experience should know that getting help from a forum or even a mailing list with more seasoned uses is hit and miss. In my experience getting a help even from a paid vendor (Red Hat for example) is hit and miss. The next thing you are telling us is that you will be leaving FreeBSD after 15 years. You will be leaving the devil you know for something you don't know. As somebody who has done once similar thing 2007 (leaving FreeBSD for OpenBSD) I would say go by all means. Do you think anybody's feelings will be hurt by it? Nope. Maybe only yours. I found my happiness by switching to OpenBSD but even I eventually came back for little ZFS and Jails. Even as stable platform as OpenBSD has its own problems and there are days I feel the same way about Open you feel now about Free.

As somebody who also works with Linux I have a very hard time to believe that you will be happier there. The number of knowledgeable people is probably bigger in absolute terms for sure but so it is a noise by many folds over. Check out Red Hat and Debian forums let alone something like Ubuntu and you will see that only one out of every 10-20 post is meaningful. Linux has far more bugs and problems than all BSD OSs combined. So Good luck!

Oko You said it better than I was going to. After 15 years, I'm surprised he's not aware of the mailing lists and daemonforums. I've been on FreeBSD for 11 years, less than him.

Let's not go off topic here.

As mentioned, the FreeBSD mailing lists, and daemonforums.org are alternative avenues of help. Other than that, giving your favorite search engine a workout is always an option.

Edit: As this thread topic was answered, I've marked it solved and closed it from continued discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back