Is there a real interest in pushing FreeBSD on the desktop space?

Funny. I fixed the prompt. The images in the Wikipedia link looked like frankestein lab's item. You can call them graphical interface if you invoque the freedom of speech.

Last edited:
Never mind, just being lazy ... see Wikipedia for the gory details, including many names such as Douglas Englebart, Alan Kay et al.
Tomorrow I'm going to lunch with a retired friend. He was a young electrical engineer on the Alto group, and he implemented the first ethernet board for Robert Metcalfe. Xerox PARC is a fascinating place: So many great ideas were born there. And many of them died right there, while some of them ended up being great things implemented by others. While the relationship between the corporate research labs (Bell Labs, IBM Research, HP Labs, Digital CRL/WRL/SRC..., Xerox PARC, ...) and their corporate parents was always fraught with problem, and most of them had a spotty track record productizing their ideas, PARC was by far the most ineffective.

While the relationship between the corporate research labs (Bell Labs, IBM Research, HP Labs, Digital CRL/WRL/SRC..., Xerox PARC, ...) and their corporate parents was always fraught with problem, and most of them had a spotty track record productizing their ideas, PARC was by far the most ineffective.
Well, i am in my laptop now. I do not know CRL/WRL/SRC. I know Bell Labs in physics science, the research group got ideas in xrays applied in cristal. What it had to do with telephones lines is not in issue. IBM Research is a question about what it accomplished apart from shrinking the mainframe into a home desk. I have to give credit to the creators of the early interfaces in PC. Jobs only stood in their work.

Last edited:

Now hold on there, before you jump to conclusions... (and disregarding that condescending language).

I didn't say I supported putting a default GUI either. I don't. It's fine the way it is now.

All I meant was that if (Gord forbid) the proponents of that idea got enough critical mass to make it happen, It would be a way to say 'see we did something about it' without compromising too much.

All I meant was that if (Gord forbid) the proponents of that idea got enough critical mass to make it happen, It ...
Wait, what? Last time critical mass was something was in physics, the nuclear kind. It is the minimal radium to create a nuclear reaction. Go ahead.

not messing. that is a scientific term used in physics since man and woman found a way to split the atom. the quantum physics that Bohr had to learn was but his first failure to the next step in the ladder.
Of course the man got the nobel in physics.

Stil TWM is minimal indeed. I

not messing. that is a scientific term used in physics since man and woman found a way to split the atom. the quantum physics that Bohr had to learn was but his first failure to the next step in the ladder.
Of course the man got the nobel in physics.

Stil TWM is minimal indeed. I
Uhhh... see these definitions of 'critical mass': https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/critical mass and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_mass_(sociodynamics) 😩

Physics is not the only place where this is valid English vocabulary.

Back