Is there a book to learn Posix interface

Hello, I have been using Linux for a while. Now I am using FreeBSD with Mate desktop.
Everything turns out to be a huge mess with concepts
I want to be good at command line, scripting, network and system (IT), and I figure out it has two parts.
One part is Posix interface, and one part is Specific Unix Os tools.
Please give me good advices or book suggestions.
I want to understand, not just cooking receipts.
Thank !
 
Do you mean
  • using the POSIX.1 interfaces from within a C program?
    In that case: The old Reilly book "POSIX programmer's guide" is concise and readable. I used to have it at my desk as a short reference.
    The real reference should be the POSIX spec, which is online, but hard to read (too many details).
  • using the other POSIX interfaces (like realtime, AIO, threads ...) from within a C program?
    There are good specialized books. I particularly liked OReilly's Pthreads book, and Gallmeisters "Programming for the real world" book (he's a nice guy too).
  • using the shell CLI interface, and the standard Unix tools (like sed/awk/join/grep) well? There are many books about those, and I don't have any specific recommendations right now. OReilly used to have short books, I think called "in a nutshell" for many of those topics.
A good used bookstore might be a fine starting point.
 
Back
Top