Is Optical Media dead?

wblock@ said:
That is something I have not tried. Does the normal DVD burning software available on FreeBSD like growisofs(1) and cdrecord(1) work to write BD disks?
Do you have an idea of what sort of actual data transfer rates it achieves?

One downside is that not every machine around can read one of those disks, unlike single-layer DVD. But the capacity is tempting.
Actually, I haven't used BD's to make FreeBSD-compatible backups yet. They're intended to allow access on a Windows computer (as that is the working environment), and as such I haven't prioritized doing the BD backups directly on the FreeBSD server. I'll make sure to post something about it once I figure out how to do that. :)

gkontos said:
I see people daily having to deal with 8-12 TB of data on their storage boxes. That data need to be backed up daily and believe me there is no optical media that can ever handle this amount of data.

Knocking down that strawman is the best argument you can come up with?

Persephone said:
Knocking down that strawman is the best argument you can come up with?

This coming from someone who wrote:

Persephone said:
With the insane failure rate hard drives have you would be a fool to use them as anything but temporary backup. If you want to run your own personal data center where you are copying your data to redundant drives and testing them constantly and swapping out drives as they die over time, knock yourself out.

What can I say, you obviously have no idea how storages operate in the 21st century.

gkontos said:
what can i say, you obviously have no idea how storages operate in the 21st century.

So you have nothing other than silly strawmen to knock down to support your assertion. That's what I thought.

Moving on...

This is what I've been trying to say. "Backup" covers a whole... what's the word... continuum of things. From making a floppy to using some monster $3000 tape drive. I personally think that optical drives and media still have a useful place in there. How long that will last, and which particular type of media, I'm not so sure.

Back