Is Linux compat still the correct way to run Acrobat Reader under FreeBSD?

user0, why don't you switch to Linux? It fits your needs more. I have Debian Jessie at work, it works fine, acroread can be installed with one-line command, it's still in their repositories. (OT: systemd was removed right after the system installation).

None of them cares for the security issues you are so worried about, as they know full well that their work is primarily performed on the government produced PDFs, offline with no internet connection for weeks or months, but of course that is insignificant for the the geeks.
Until they get infected with the latest ransomware and their entire administration is held for ransom. Just because it doesn't have an internet connection doesn't mean it cannot be infected. People stick USB sticks into everything. Including their home PC that IS connected to the internet. Heck, they'll even insert that USB stick they found in the parking-lot, just to satisfy their curiosity. And don't even think that running FreeBSD, Linux or OS-X is going to magically protect you. It won't.

I get paid peanuts for working for a worldwide charity organization that teaches the poorest people how to open their own small business to change their lives and the lives of their communities instead of immigrating into the Western hemisphere and overburdening already overstretched welfare systems, and we depend on free software. With its overall quality getting out of hand and its hardware requirements skyrocketing, we may have to close shop. At least from my pinhole view of its IT infrastructure I see how the front line people get frustrated not being able to do their work. I never thought that a day will come when I will have to tell them there is no more help I can offer.

Sounds like beggars acting like choosers.

Most of them are seriously pissed by the direction the enlightened ivory tower dweller software developers are taking the OSs, window managers and software packages they are used to and trained for. None of them cares for the security issues you are so worried about, as they know full well that their work is primarily performed on the government produced PDFs, offline with no internet connection for weeks or months, but of course that is insignificant for the the geeks.

You've been given several valid pieces of advice that includes A) the users are flat-out wrong/uninformed not to care and B) regardless you are supposed to make sure they don't have to because even though you are paid in peanuts, you're still getting paid, so you might as well do the job correctly.

One very wise man used to say: you may be 100% correct, but at the same time totally wrong.
A) who exactly said this? B) does not apply here, unless you think it's probable that everyone else but you is wrong.

I'm actually surprised people kept helping rather than just let you shoot yourself in both feet. :)

At this point it sounds like weirdness of Fedora is a lesser pain than fighting the complete showstopper mysteries of FreeBSD 10.1 (the only recent version which does not constantly go into kernel panic from almost everything) or staring at the kernel dumping memory in FreeBSD 10.3 or PCBSD 10.3 several times a day.

I did not have anywhere near that many issues in FreeBSD 9, it is sounding like brain rot of Linux has infected FreeBSD project as well by this time. It was nice while it lasted, and slowly but surely the entire free/open source software world is sliding into a cess pit as releasing without testing becomes a norm.

One very wise man used to say: you may be 100% correct, but at the same time totally wrong.

I've been using FreeBSD for 6 years officially now. Kernel panics only happen to me twice a year at most. The rest of the time it runs like a swiss watch.

I'm not sure if the brainrot and it's promoters have shown up here yet, but I'm not certain they won't. I hope they stay in their own hell.

Adobe is the one to blame for the problems and lack of support for Acrobat Reader though. Only they can fix it and they won't.

I understand and accept anger and frustration, but that's not what's happening here. I suggested earlier, but now it is clear - the OP came here to troll.

Back