Is it works on this hardware?

Why 13.1-STABLE? Why not 13.1-RELEASE? You're probably not aware there's a difference.

It's an old beast, 128MB might not be enough. Other than that, sure, it should be able to run FreeBSD.

You might get by without X. What is it supposed to be doing?

on my pi zero that does nothing and runs GENERIC kernel / UFS is 80-90MB active+wired
so 128-196 will do but you will have more fun with an arm board
also a lower electricity bill and no noise

Why 13.1-STABLE? Why not 13.1-RELEASE? You're probably not aware there's a difference.

It's an old beast, 128MB might not be enough. Other than that, sure, it should be able to run FreeBSD.
It's easy to imagine that Current is the development branch and Stable is the production version if you're coming from a Linux base.

Solve your doubts here:

i386 has become a Tier 2 architecture with 13.0, so don't expect everything to work smoothly and/or OOTB anymore and especially not in future releases.

There is really no reason to still run anything meaningful on such old and outdated hardware, especially because practically any sub-30$ single-board-computer will outperform that P2 by orders of magnitude while using only a fraction of the energy that door stopper would consume at idle.

For purely nostalgic reasons to 'just run' some old and heavily underpowered hardware, maybe NetBSD would be the better choice. Especially when it comes to memory footprint, NetBSD can be stripped down to insanely low figures (for todays standards...). It's really not just a joke that NetBSD could run on a toaster...

and Stable is the production version if you're coming from a Linux base.

... Exactly! 20+ years of chasing Debian Stable, and it was _quite_ confusing that I wasn't supposed to jump straight on Stable here.

But I definitely agree wtih sko, lay your hands on a Raspberry Pi 4 or similar type board and you'll have a far better platform. I have several running FreeBSD now doing various chores. It's fun to reuse/repurpose old hardware sometimes, but often times not practical in the long run. (energy/performance/noise in this case).

Have fun!

I plan to install on a p3 1.2ghz machine that has 128mb PC 133 ram. But I only will be installing lynx, mtools, ne, ssh and sade. Fingers crossed that it works well. I may actually install blackbox and dillo with Xorg too. But I've got a lot of hardware for the laptop including DVD/cdrw, superdisk, floppy and zip 250 modules as well as the dock and two new batteries. So there's no reason it can't be a useful system for my needs. I shouldn't require too much ram for what I plan to use, yes?

Code:
19 processes:  1 running, 18 sleeping
CPU:  0.0% user,  0.0% nice,  1.6% system,  0.8% interrupt, 97.7% idle
Mem: 4300K Active, 262M Inact, 6672K Laundry, 81M Wired, 51M Buf, 73M Free
this is on a pi zero with half a gig ram
the largest process is actually sshd followed by wpa_supplicant
running 13.0 GENERIC

Perhaps I will use my other pentium laptop that is compatible with the modules (optical and floppy modules). 128mb may be a bit too little it seems. I will still give it a try and see where I'm at.

Back