Solved Is it okay that FreeBSD consumes a lot of disk space?

I've just installed FreeBSD with xfce, nvidia drivers and some basic stuff like browser but it's already consumes more than 30 GiB of disk space. Is it how it's supposed to be?

You must have installed a lot more than just that. My laptop has xfce4, Firefox, LibreOffice, along with a few other things, and it's using 9GB.

installed FreeBSD with xfce, nvidia drivers and some basic stuff like browser but it's already consumes more than 30 GiB of disk space
That seems a bit to much. The base system takes ≈ 500 MB, application files are stored under /usr/local, you can check the size of that directory running du -sh /usr/local (du(1)), if the size is not near 30G run du -hd5 / | sort -hr > dspace.txt (sort(1)) to check where the data with the most disk usage went.

Did you build from ports or did you use packages? If you built from ports I'm guessing you have a lot of work directories now filled with various build artifacts. You should clean those.

In any case, look what's eating your disk space: du -sk /* | sort -n

Did you build from ports or did you use packages? If you built from ports I'm guessing you have a lot of work directories now filled with various build artifacts. You should clean those.

In any case, look what's eating your disk space: du -sk /* | sort -n
I used pkg to install everything, never used ports. Xfce file manager shows that there's only 177368 items, totalling 9.1 GiB (9755066953 bytes) but 30 GiB is still missing (404.3 GiB of 447.5 GiB free) so i assume it could be a filesystem problem(I use UFS).

Use the commands in a terminal, the XFCE file manager may not show everything.

Goodness, the 30GB 🧚‍♀️fairy is at it again.
UFS reserves, what, 10%? That's pretty close to your missing GBs.

(Apologies, it's a long time since I've used UFS)

Goodness, the 30GB 🧚‍♀️fairy is at it again.
UFS reserves, what, 10%? That's pretty close to your missing GBs.

(Apologies, it's a long time since I've used UFS)
Yeah i think that's the cause, i'm new to freebsd so i don't know much about UFS and ZFS filesystems.

Post the output from du -sk /* | sort -n so we can have a look too.
Code:
0    /home
0    /sys
3    /dev
4    /entropy
4    /media
4    /mnt
4    /net
4    /proc
8    /COPYRIGHT
28    /root
32    /tmp
200    /libexec
1656    /bin
3204    /etc
7120    /sbin
11828    /rescue
13332    /lib
160976    /boot
1506084    /var
5977064    /usr

Ok, that seems to be in order. That ~6 GB in /usr/ is expected. What does df -h output?

As you can see by the "Used" column, there's not much in use. The difference between Size and Avail is due to the reservation as mark_j noted.

Back