Interfacing FreeBSD with U-Boot

One thing that confuses me is does /boot/uEnv.txt refer to uEnv.txt in a /boot directory of the FAT partition or is the FAT partition regarded as /boot.
u-boot reads both /boot/uEnv.txt and /uEnv.txt anyway. However, not sure whether its a bug or a feature, certain things, e.g. uenvcmd don't work if they are not in /uEnv.txt.

u-boot reads both /boot/uEnv.txt and /uEnv.txt anyway. However, not sure whether its a bug or a feature, certain things, e.g. uenvcmd don't work if they are not in /uEnv.txt.

Resuming an old thread...

I'm hoping to install OpenWrt on my GoFlex Home unit, but I hoping that I will be able to use the unit in a multiple boot environment by having different /boot/uEnv.txt files on different USB sticks. I'm hoping that OpenWrt will be installed and run from NAND, but if uBoot reads /boot/uEnv.txt from a USB stick then it will load the OS from the USB stick.

Do I understand that correctly? And how can I tell which uBoot's are capable of reading this file?

Resuming an old thread...

I'm hoping to install OpenWrt on my GoFlex Home unit, but I hoping that I will be able to use the unit in a multiple boot environment by having different /boot/uEnv.txt files on different USB sticks. I'm hoping that OpenWrt will be installed and run from NAND, but if uBoot reads /boot/uEnv.txt from a USB stick then it will load the OS from the USB stick.

Do I understand that correctly? And how can I tell which uBoot's are capable of reading this file?
Does OpenWRT come with it's own u-boot? I believe the stock u-boot doesn't read USB stick. However, you can recompile it after adding the corresponding script. I can show how I altered it. I'm out of town, will be back home in a couple of days.

There is a guide to installing OpenWrt on a GoFlex Home unit here and to be honest I can't tell whether the installation process includes a new u-Boot.

I'd be very much interested in instructions in compiling u-Boot - it all sounds like a black art to me :)

Is there any chance that any required changes for FreeBSD have been included in the mainline code?
No quite the opposite. They are yanking out old Arm stuff.

I do want to mention that uboot upstream project completely removed the API support FreeBSD was using with little notice.
So any instructions online for FreeBSD uboot may not be correct. Especially if building from the ubstream uboot.
This may mean the API is no longer needed for FreeBSD, I am really am unsure how this got handled.
I know you can boot ARM from USB now with the newer uboot.

Back