Solved Intel WiFi AC 9560

jbo@

Developer
Currently I am dealing with a Lenovo Thinkpad P2000 which comes equipped with an Intel AC 9560 WiFi module.

According to the man page of iwm(4) the 9560 is supported (listed in the description section). However, there isn't any mentioning of iwm9560fw_load or similar.

After booting FreeBSD 13.0, I don't see any wireless interface showing up under ifconfig. The if_iwm.ko module is loaded tho.

What am I missing here?

I had a typo in what was supposed to be wlans_iwm0="wlan0" in my /etc/rc.conf.... duuuh...
Thank you Sir!

What is the reason that WiFi adapters don't show up under ifconfig "by default"?

You never use the interface itself directly, you have to create a wlan0 interface to configure it. This actually allows you to run multiple wireless networks concurrently on the same physical interface.

Wireless interfaces don't show up with ifconfig(8). Use sysctl net.wlan.devices.

I have a MSI laptop with the Intel 9560.
Using the iwm(4()) guide i added the lines in the loader.conf, the module are loaded after a reboot, but sysctl net.wlan.devices not show any device.

Any hint?

Then you have a variant of the card that's not supported.

Thanks for the answer.
At first was thinking to have another card model, but i'm sure is the 9560. I have FreeBSD along with other OS; i think i'll wait and see if my card get supported.

New revisions of chip sets are made almost constantly. You can tell by looking at the output from pciconf -lv. Specifically the vendor, device, subvendor and subdevice are important. It's these values that are matched against what a driver supports. It's possible Intel created a newer (or at least different) variant of that chipset. It may just be a case of adding the correct IDs to the driver.

At first was thinking to have another card model, but i'm sure is the 9560. I have FreeBSD along with other OS; i think i'll wait and see if my card get supported.
What I can tell you with certainty is that the iwm(4) driver worked for the AC9560 card in my Lenovo ThinkPad P2000.
As SirDice mentioned you might just have a different revision of the chipset for which the corresponding IDs are not listed in the driver. If that is the case it would be comparably trivial to add support for your specific card.

Other than that the new iwlwifi driver that is currently in the making supposedly supports that card as well: https://wiki.freebsd.org/action/info/WiFi/Iwlwifi#Supported_Hardware
you might wanna give that a try if you feel like it. That being said, you're gonna need to run stable/13 or current to use/test that driver.

New revisions of chip sets are made almost constantly. You can tell by looking at the output from pciconf -lv. Specifically the vendor, device, subvendor and subdevice are important. It's these values that are matched against what a driver supports. It's possible Intel created a newer (or at least different) variant of that chipset. It may just be a case of adding the correct IDs to the driver.

This is the part relative to the Wi-Fi device:
Code:
none2@pci0:0:20:3:    class=0x028000 rev=0x00 hdr=0x00 vendor=0x8086 device=0x02f0 subvendor=0x8086 subdevice=0x0034
    vendor     = 'Intel Corporation'
    device     = 'Comet Lake PCH-LP CNVi WiFi'
    class      = network

This is the part relative to the Wi-Fi device:
Code:
none2@pci0:0:20:3:    class=0x028000 rev=0x00 hdr=0x00 vendor=0x8086 device=0x02f0 subvendor=0x8086 subdevice=0x0034
    vendor     = 'Intel Corporation'
    device     = 'Comet Lake PCH-LP CNVi WiFi'
    class      = network
What makes you think that this is a 9560 card? Unless my memory is wrong that device ID is of an Intel AX201 card.

What makes you think that this is a 9560 card? Unless my memory is wrong that device ID is of an Intel AX201 card.

I have Win10 in the Laptop, and Device Manager say is Intel 9560. Even the vendors of MSI A10RB say it have the Intel 9560.

I have found this thread, and is the same card and numbers:

If i have the AX201, there aren't drivers for it also. Only found iwx for OpenBSD.

If you're certain that this is an 9560 then you know where to go from here (advice previously provided by SirDice and me).

If it's an AX201: The new iwlwifi driver supposedly supports it (as well as the 9560).

If you're certain that this is an 9560 then you know where to go from here (advice previously provided by SirDice and me).

If it's an AX201: The new iwlwifi driver supposedly supports it (as well as the 9560).

Thank you. I'm on 13 RELEASE; i'll wait a bit longer before switch to STABLE. Sorry for jump in a solved thread.

Back