Intel microcode updates and what do they entail?

Hello,

a topic that I have never studied in depth and therefore I ask you for an explanation as simple as possible.
In one of the many FreeBSD installation tutorials I remember seeing it suggested to also set up the microcode update which I think is possible for both Intel and AMD CPUs.
I have an Intel processor and FreeBSD 13.1
What does this type of update entail, can there be risks and what is the best way to do it?
I found this link but I wanted to ask the community first and wait for your advice.

Thank you all.

A modern x86 based CPU is actually a complete computer inside the chip. This type of update updates the microcode inside the CPU itself. It's like updating the "OS" of the CPU itself.

OK thanks.
What is the safest method you recommend for doing this?
Furthermore, if the update is not successful, what are the risks, can there be malfunctions?
Thanks again.

I think it's just pkg install devcpu-data-intel and follow whatever instructions. It's probably add a variable to /etc/rc.conf and reboot.
Code:
2. The second method, which uses the RC script included in this port can
   be enabled by adding the following line to /etc/rc.conf:

microcode_update_enable="YES"

The microcode update is then applied upon reboot or when the microcode
   update service is run via:

# service microcode_update start

If the CPU requires a microcode update, a console message such as the
   following will appear:

Updating CPU Microcode...
   %%DATADIR%%/m32306c3_00000022.fw: updating cpu /dev/cpuctl0 from rev 0x17 to rev 0x22... done.
   %%DATADIR%%/m32306c3_00000022.fw: updating cpu /dev/cpuctl2 from rev 0x17 to rev 0x22... done.
   %%DATADIR%%/m32306c3_00000022.fw: updating cpu /dev/cpuctl4 from rev 0x17 to rev 0x22... done.
   %%DATADIR%%/m32306c3_00000022.fw: updating cpu /dev/cpuctl6 from rev 0x17 to rev 0x22... done.
   Done.

I think it's just pkg install devcpu-data-intel and follow whatever instructions. It's probably add a variable to /etc/rc.conf and reboot.
Code:
2. The second method, which uses the RC script included in this port can
   be enabled by adding the following line to /etc/rc.conf:

microcode_update_enable="YES"

The microcode update is then applied upon reboot or when the microcode
   update service is run via:

# service microcode_update start

If the CPU requires a microcode update, a console message such as the
   following will appear:

Updating CPU Microcode...
   %%DATADIR%%/m32306c3_00000022.fw: updating cpu /dev/cpuctl0 from rev 0x17 to rev 0x22... done.
   %%DATADIR%%/m32306c3_00000022.fw: updating cpu /dev/cpuctl2 from rev 0x17 to rev 0x22... done.
   %%DATADIR%%/m32306c3_00000022.fw: updating cpu /dev/cpuctl4 from rev 0x17 to rev 0x22... done.
   %%DATADIR%%/m32306c3_00000022.fw: updating cpu /dev/cpuctl6 from rev 0x17 to rev 0x22... done.
   Done.

I installed the package for Intel but when I manually ran the service command microcode_update start it told me it couldn't find the service.
I then uninstalled the package for intel and with the generic one which also includes amd it worked and gave me the same message as the page:
Updating CPU Microcode ...
%% DATADIR %% / m32306c3_00000022.fw: updating cpu / dev / cpuctl0 from rev 0x17 to rev 0x22 ... done.

I checked my microcode both before and after and it stayed the same: 0x00000000000000f0

Am I wrong something sure or there are no updates for my CPU?

I think I got confused.

Thank you.

Sorry, my mistake about the packages. If you just installed the devcpu-data-intel you could do the lines in the boot loader, but the service comes in with the devcpu-data package.
If the microcode was the same before and after it means "no updates for your CPU in the current package".

Hello,
I enabled the microcode update via the boot loader.
Where can I find the logs of the process to know that it has done an update check?

Thank you.

Back