Intel GPU (i915)

Hi!

I've an EliteBook with an Intel GPU and I would like to fix some behaviors I could not find any solution yet.
1. Screen turns off for few seconds and comes back to life, while this happens everything seems to be working fine, there's just no image at all.
This happens sometimes from full battery until battery needs to be recharged.
I doesn't seem to happen when power chord is plugged.
Drivers issues related to laptop auto brightness for power saving?
Tip: This also happened when I had Linux here and never happened with windows.

2. When system is idle the screen turns off, which is good, but when I come back to work it doesn't not show the unlock screen password input.
Instead it shows a black screen.
I have to switch to console and then go back to graphics (Ctrl+Alt+F2 and then Ctrl+Alt+F8) to get into unlock screen.
Well I could say its like an extra protection for some who tries to use my currently running session 😂
but well, it's really a problem somewhere.
I don't want to disable the screen going off, power saving stuff is something that is really valuable to me.

Any clues?
Thank you.

I don't want to disable the screen going off, power saving stuff is something that is really valuable to me.
My recommendation would be just turn off the screensaver and any power settings like display being disabled or screen locking, and if power saving is that important to you, you can either close the lid of the laptop (which will switch the display off anyway) or better yet just turn the machine off when you're not using it. The machine is also more secure when it's not on.

No.
I have a car and the battery bulb on my dashboard is on. Any clue? Your post sounds like that.
Be more precise: what model is that HP EliteBook, which version of FreeBSD are you running, Desktop Environment/Window Manager, X11/xorg or graphics/wayland, etc.
Sorry I didn't get your point.
But it's an EliteBook 840 G2 with FreeBSD 14.0-RELEASE-p2 installed.
X11/Xorg with LightDM and XFCE4 as desktop environment.

My recommendation would be just turn off the screensaver and any power settings like display being disabled or screen locking, and if power saving is that important to you, you can either close the lid of the laptop (which will switch the display off anyway) or better yet just turn the machine off when you're not using it. The machine is also more secure when it's not on.
When I close the lid it's the same, screen turns off and it returns black after turning on.
The funny thing is that when I move the mouse, which is there and visible, I can see the pointer change in places where buttons or text box are.
So I did insert my password and pressed enter and still black.
After switching to console and back to graphics I can see I was able to pass by lock screen and can see my desktop again.
This means that while it is black all controls are there, mouse passing over changes pointer, but are not graphically rendered.

Sorry I didn't get your point.
Of course you don't see it. My point was simple: the more information you give the better answer you will receive.

First load acpi and i915 modules: -> /etc/rc.conf
Code:
kld_list="${kld_list} i915kms acpi_hp acpi_video"
Second, turn off that screensaver and use DPMS (Display Power Management Signaling).

E.g My setup with 3 displays (Lenovo T430 + 2 external monitors). Since you are using only the internal display, what is the interest for you from the file below is the ServerFlags section.
/usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/serverflags.conf
Code:
Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "LVDS-1"
    Option "DPMS"   "true"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier  "HDMI-1"
    Option "DPMS"   "true"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier  "HDMI-2"
    Option "DPMS"   "true"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
    Option "BlankTime" "30"
    Option "StandbyTime" "31"
    Option "SuspendTime" "32"
    Option "OffTime" "0"
    Option "DontZap"   "off"   # Allow Ctrl+Alt+Backspace
EndSection

Third: in /etc/sysctl.conf add:
Code:
hw.acpi.lid_switch_state=S3                                     # Suspend notebook when the screen(device) is closed.
hw.acpi.reset_video=1
hw.acpi.verbose=1
hw.syscons.sc_no_suspend_vtswitch=0
hw.acpi.sleep_button_state=S3
hw.acpi.power_button_state=S5
hw.acpi.sleep_delay=3
for a suspend to RAM state (S3) or if you want to disk (S4).

First load acpi and i915 modules: -> /etc/rc.conf
Code:
Second, turn off that screensaver and use DPMS (Display Power Management Signaling).

All good ideas. Abandoning needing a password for the screensaver might help fix it.

E.g My setup with 3 displays (Lenovo T430 + 2 external monitors). Since you are using only the internal display, what is the interest for you from the file below is the ServerFlags section.
/usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/serverflags.conf
Code:
Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "LVDS-1"
    Option "DPMS"   "true"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier  "HDMI-1"
    Option "DPMS"   "true"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier  "HDMI-2"
    Option "DPMS"   "true"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
    Option "BlankTime" "30"
    Option "StandbyTime" "31"
    Option "SuspendTime" "32"
    Option "OffTime" "0"
    Option "DontZap"   "off"   # Allow Ctrl+Alt+Backspace
EndSection

Cool.

Third: in /etc/sysctl.conf add:
Code:
hw.acpi.lid_switch_state=S3                                     # Suspend notebook when the screen(device) is closed.
hw.acpi.reset_video=1
hw.acpi.verbose=1
hw.syscons.sc_no_suspend_vtswitch=0
hw.acpi.sleep_button_state=S3
hw.acpi.power_button_state=S5
hw.acpi.sleep_delay=3
for a suspend to RAM state (S3) or if you want to disk (S4).

Are you really using syscons rather than vt on your T430? I needed vt with i915kms on mine.

And S4 (suspend to disk or 'hibernate') doesn't work on anything I've heard of, certainly not Thinkpads. HP? Doubt it.

[ bit OT, but ...
Strangely, I tried 'acpiconf -s4' earlier today, expecting it to just complain ... but it suspended! Wouldn't resume, of course.

Worse, oid hw.acpi.supported_sleep_state is read only at 'S3 S4 S5', which is a bug for sure when hw.acpi.s4bios=0, though the latter is NOT read only (that's on 12.4 at least).

The problem nº2 is not on suspending or hibernate.
The system turns on the screen, I can see the mouse pointer with the correct theme, I can also get that the controls are there when I move the mouse all over screen the pointer changes.
Then when I input the password the black screen (with visible mouse) persists, if I have xterminal there I can input commands when I can not even see it.

I'm using XFCE tool for power saving options
Screenshot_2023-12-12_11-43-34.png

Screenshot_2023-12-12_11-42-26.png

Seems it may be related with the "Blank" wakeup function

Are you really using syscons rather than vt on your T430? I needed vt with i915kms on mine.
That particularly machine is still on 12.x (is kinda used for storage (has 3 x ssd in raidz1)), that's why still has legacy settings. I'm planning to upgrade to 14.x but a lot of staff has gathered there that has to be moved/backuped.

I'm using XFCE tool for power saving options

Seems it may be related with the "Blank" wakeup function

As mentioned, can you use DPMS instead of XFCE settings?

What if you disable the lock, ie the requirement to enter a password? Does that make any difference to behaviour?

Please show 'sysctl kern.vt' ?

I was able to reproduce the issue 2. by closing and opening the laptop lid.
So after disabling screensaver and power saving actions I can see this when I close and open the laptop lid.
Screenshot_2023-12-12_11-56-41.png

(moved one to be visible, originally both windows are rendered on top of each other.)

This means by closing the lid Xorg detects a change in display settings and opens the 1st window.
When opening the lid it detects another change and opens a new display settings over the 1st one.

The black screen is gone, but I want to have the lock screen with password.

That particularly machine is still on 12.x (is kinda used for storage (has 3 x ssd in raidz1)), that's why still has legacy settings. I'm planning to upgrade to 14.x but a lot of staff has gathered there that has to be moved/backuped.

Sure. I'm still on 12.4 here; was going to update to 13.2 weeks ago but have been ill, if anyone needs to hassle.

Let me know privately if you need successful settings on 12.4 for suspend / resume, vt and i915kms on T430s.

Good news!

I was able to resolve the problem 2 by disabling "display power management" and leaving Xfce screensaver to the job.
It's not the same thing turning display off (by power management) and blanking the display (by screensaver) but it was the best I could do.
Still trying to figure out if the /etc/rc.conf settings resolved the problem 1 until now so far so good and its been some minutes working without any display issues.

After a couple of weeks I confirm that with
the black screen (for seconds) issue persists
This issue only happens with the laptop screen, never happens when connected ONLY to external display.

Back