Solved Intel GM965

I have trouble to use hardware acceleration on my Freebsd 13.
I have installed drm-fbsd13-kmod I have all modules under /boot/modules.
Added the following to /etc/rc.conf
kld_list="fusefs /boot/modules/i915kms.ko"
My Lxde desktop not responding and the resolution changed to much higher value. The terminal windows are operational and they are in higher resolution as well.
Installing the xf86-video-intel makes no change. Commenting i915 out not fix it either had to remove xf86-vide-intel as well to have the desktop back. Only problem the terminal not working and no video hardware acceleration. Would the legacy DRM from ports would fix it the one which got removed from Freebsf 13? Or I would need to install and older Freebsd to make my ancient video card work? What do I missing?

So is your desktop loading or just blacks out? FreeBSD 13 removed the legacy drivers so you're stuck with loading the driver from the module. I'm running Freebsd 12 release using the base driver and has issue using the newer i915 driver.

You should post your message and Xorg logs to determine if your gpu is hanging or something else and see if you are using an xorg.conf file as that can affect Xorg behavior.

Yes i have a desktop and the mouse move around it as well but does not allow me to start any program on it. I don't have xorg.conf under /usr/local/etc/X11 and the i915kms.ko loading only when xf86-video-intel is installed. I also meant to ask is there a way to enable my terminals while i load X without i915kms.ko ?
I attached the log file.

Attachments

• Xorg.0.log.txt
    35 KB · Views: 113
Have you also installed graphics/drm-kmod? I don't think graphics/drm-fbsd13-kmod works alone.
graphics/drm-kmod is a convenient "meta port". It simply depends on other ports/packages. If you install it on 13.0 it will depend on graphics/drm-fbsd13-kmod, if you install it on 12.x it will depend on graphics/drm-fbsd12.0-kmod. This is useful so you don't have to think about what version to install, it will automatically pull in the correct module for your version of the OS.

graphics/drm-kmod is a convenient "meta port". It simply depends on other ports/packages. If you install it on 13.0 it will depend on graphics/drm-fbsd13-kmod, if you install it on 12.x it will depend on graphics/drm-fbsd12.0-kmod. This is useful so you don't have to think about what version to install, it will automatically pull in the correct module for your version of the OS.
Thought OP might be missing gpu-firmware-kmod but my mistake. Sorry. Had the dependency tree wrong.

Had the dependency tree wrong.
Yeah, that firmware port/package is a dependency of the individual drm-fbsd*-kmod ports/packages. You looked at it from the wrong way. In your defense, dependency chains are a pain to keep track of, it's quite easy to get lost along the way ;)

Do you have a second monitor hooked up to the laptop? You can try reinstall the lxde desktop environment to see if it helps or boot into the single user mode then login to your profile to manually startx your desktop.

You where right The3ajm the second monitor locked up the X and changed the resolution.
I would never suspected the monitor.
Now i just need to figure out how to clone the resolution from my laptop screen to the monitor.

I realised that the monitor is in extended display mode thats why nothing happened when i tried to start programs, they where running on the primary laptop display, but because that lid was closed i never seen that. The main screen very badly cracked cant see half of the screen thats why i use the monitor. Do you guys know how to change the extened monitor function to clone display mode?

I was reading your Xorg log noticed LVDS and VGA connected. Have you checked the display setting in LXDE? Otherwise you might need to use xorg conf to perform a duplicate display. If your main screen is damaged then you need to get window to pop up to your second monitor so you can work on it other than that you need to replace the screen on the laptop.

That is the solution grahamperrin
installed lxqt-config package at display option set default the monitor over the LCD display and save. It works perfectly I could never figure this out myself. Thank you very much.

Back