Intel Alder and Raptor Lake support

BTW, it is getting even more complicated.

Intel is introducing E-cores that are outside the CCD and are not connected to the L3 cache. The purpose is to be able to power down the entire CCD with the P-cores and normally connected E-cores while keeping the computer alive on a slow cooker. The E-cores on and off the main CCD are otherwise identical, except for cache access.

Good luck making scheduler decisions for that one.

I'm sure we won't get any more horrible security flaws from this overly complicated architecture, because intel would never take shortcuts to make all that stuff work with reasonable performance.
oh wait...

Intel is introducing E-cores that are outside the CCD and are not connected to the L3 cache. The purpose is to be able to power down the entire CCD with the P-cores and normally connected E-cores while keeping the computer alive on a slow cooker. The E-cores on and off the main CCD are otherwise identical, except for cache access.

First time I hear about that. They might make use of the internal minix as a scheduler. If made right it could potentially make things simpler for the operating system. But I doubt that is the whats planned :confused:

I tested the Alder Lake CPU, new motherboard and new DDR5 RAM @ 6000MHz with FreeBSD 13.2 and the experience is largely positive.

The Intel 12600KF seems to work fine. In Idle, all cores are (mostly) 0% loaded as they should be. The temperature of the cores in idle is about 21°C which is just a degree warmer than room temperature, and this is with an average air cooler from ARCTIC.

2023-10-06-221557-1920x1080-scrot.png

The audio worked automatically which I did not expect. The entire FreeBSD 13.2 system works the same as before and stability seems to be just as good. It works much faster than before so it has very good performance.

The only problem I seem to have at the moment is that the internet is not working. When I type ifconfig it only finds the loopback device called lo0 or something similar. My motherboard is the BIOSTAR B760MZ-E PRO. The packaging of the motherboard indicates that it has a 2.5G LAN but not the specific brand and model. I think it's a 2.5 GbE LAN port powered by Realtek's RTL8125B LAN chipset and support for WiFi 6 & 6E modules (No WiFi card included).

To be honest I haven't tried anything yet and will look into it more tomorrow. Any idea what I can do to make the internet work?

I tested the Alder Lake CPU, new motherboard and new DDR5 RAM @ 6000MHz with FreeBSD 13.2 and the experience is largely positive.

The Intel 12600KF seems to work fine. In Idle, all cores are (mostly) 0% loaded as they should be. The temperature of the cores in idle is about 21°C which is just a degree warmer than room temperature, and this is with an average air cooler from ARCTIC.

2023-10-06-221557-1920x1080-scrot.png

The audio worked automatically which I did not expect. The entire FreeBSD 13.2 system works the same as before and stability seems to be just as good. It works much faster than before so it has very good performance.

The only problem I seem to have at the moment is that the internet is not working. When I type ifconfig it only finds the loopback device called lo0 or something similar. My motherboard is the BIOSTAR B760MZ-E PRO. The packaging of the motherboard indicates that it has a 2.5G LAN but not the specific brand and model. I think it's a 2.5 GbE LAN port powered by Realtek's RTL8125B LAN chipset and support for WiFi 6 & 6E modules (No WiFi card included).

To be honest I haven't tried anything yet and will look into it more tomorrow. Any idea what I can do to make the internet work?
Voltaire easiest thing to get internet working would be to buy a TP-Link TL-WN725N nano USB wireless card off Amazon for $10 or so, sling if_rtwn_usb_load="YES" into your /boot/loader.conf and away you go until you find support for your native on-board cards. I've found this is the least irritating method of getting stuff up and running. I lose a USB port out of it, but save several headaches trying to compile kernel modules and installing firmware.

Voltaire easiest thing to get internet working would be to buy a TP-Link TL-WN725N nano USB wireless card off Amazon for $10 or so, sling if_rtwn_usb_load="YES" into your /boot/loader.conf and away you go until you find support for your native on-board cards. I've found this is the least irritating method of getting stuff up and running. I lose a USB port out of it, but save several headaches trying to compile kernel modules and installing firmware.

I have a wireless router but it's far from the pc. I would need an extender in combination with the TP-Link TL-WN725N nano USB and this solution is probly not as fast and reliable as a LAN cable.

I found this topic: https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/realtek-rtl-8125-2-5gbps-lan-controller.79710/
I downloaded this file: realtek-re-kmod-198.00_3.pkg Is this the file that I need for the Realtek's RTL8125B LAN chipset?

I also didn't reinstall FreeBSD. I just use the same installation that I used for years in combination with the new Intel 12600KF and the new BIOSTAR motherboard.
I can put the realtek-re-kmod-198.00_3.pkg file on a USB stick formatted in FAT32 and I can plug this FAT32 USB in the FreeBSD desktop and it will be automatically mounted and available via Thunar.

The thread mentions pkg-static but I don't think I need to do this step. pkg-static is a statically linked variant of pkg typically only used for the initial installation of pkg.
pkg is already installed on the system and I did a full system upgrade recently.

ifconfig_re0="DHCP"
ifconfig_re0_ipv6="inet6 accept_rtadv"

These two lines are for the /etc/rc.conf file? I should already have those lines in this file, the internet worked before the hardware upgrade.

My impression is that I should only do this step:
pkg add realtek-re-kmod-198.00_3.pkg
(or maybe pkg install realtek-re-kmod-198.00_3.pkg)

Or is it required to use realtek-re-kmod-v198.00_3.txz instead of realtek-re-kmod-198.00_3.pkg?

My impression is that I should only do this step:
pkg add realtek-re-kmod-198.00_3.pkg
This is the full solution :)

You will automatically receive a message that you need to add two lines to /boot/loader.conf

The internet is working. Firefox can crash though.
It seems apps are not 100% stable yet but it is stable for now.

Getting FreeBSD 13.2 working on Alder Lake was really child's play all together.
I didn't suspect it would be so simple to get everything working as well as before.

My experience with version 13.2 and Alder Lake:
- random reboots
- Firefox and Chromium crash frequently
- if one of the cores hits 100% load the app or complete system becomes unstable
- issues when you update the system, failed checksum from repository, bus errors, pkg always getting stuck during integrity check, ..

I will try version 14.0 tomorrow but 13.2 seems unusable on Alder Lake out-of-the-box.

The 14.0-BETA5-amd64-memstick.img has the same problem. When you install it, it doesn't find a network card, and you have no internet after installation.

What I wonder is whether 14.0-BETA5-amd64-dvd1.iso has this realtek driver? It's a driver that would be best added to all the installation media.

For persons currently having the same problem, these are the correct commands to download the two packages you would need:
fetch https://pkg.freebsd.org/FreeBSD:14:amd64/latest/All/pkg-1.20.7.pkg
fetch https://pkg.freebsd.org/FreeBSD:14:amd64/latest/All/realtek-re-kmod-198.00_3.pkg

My impression is that fetch is little used on Arch Linux but you can install it via pakku (AUR)

tar xf ./pkg.txz -s ",/.*/,,g" "*/pkg-static"
./pkg-static add ./pkg.txz

pkg.txz is available for 13:amd64 but right now it's not available for 14:amd64

I tried to use the pkg.txz 13:amd64 package and it discovers that I don't use the right version.
pkg-static: wrong architecture: FreeBSD:13 instead of FreeBSD:14

The bottom line is that if you need the realtek-re-kmod-198.00_3 driver, you can currently only use 13.2
When the pkg.txz file for 14.0-BETA5-amd64 is released you will be able to install the driver and I think this is going to be a better experience than using 13.2 for Alder Lake.

I will test version 13.2 again tomorrow. Possibly it will work without issues if I do a clean install.

pkg.txz is available for 13:amd64 but right now it's not available for 14:amd64

I tried to use the pkg.txz 13:amd64 package and it discovers that I don't use the right version.
pkg-static: wrong architecture: FreeBSD:13 instead of FreeBSD:14

The bottom line is that if you need the realtek-re-kmod-198.00_3 driver, you can currently only use 13.2
When the pkg.txz file for 14.0-BETA5-amd64 is released you will be able to install the driver and I think this is going to be a better experience than using 13.2 for Alder Lake.

I will test version 13.2 again tomorrow. Possibly it will work without issues if I do a clean install.
You can use a mobile device via thetering during install. That is what I do. I find solutions for most of my probelms. Has been running a 12700K for more than a year now. I had a lot of problems in the beginning. In the beginning disabling of the P-cores was necessary (but not since FreeBSD 13.2), incompatible ram sticks that made the system crashing. I learned a lot during this. Most problems can be solved with patience.

Did find this video on the subject. Seems the processor will in fact do some scheduling by itself.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1233_cjcdE

Can confirm FreeBSD 14.0 Beta fully boots "Raptor Lake" on this 13th gen ASUS laptop. Mostly everything usable, except the iGPU - which apparently doesn't work yet.

Can confirm FreeBSD 14.0 Beta fully boots "Raptor Lake" on this 13th gen ASUS laptop. Mostly everything usable, except the iGPU - which apparently doesn't work yet.
can confirm this - FreeBSD 14-RC1 doesn't work with Alder Lake GT1 - (intel 12700K) only having iGPU

I should clarify that doesn't work means capability to use GUI front end- xorg/ xfce/ sway

Other than that, as other posters mentioned, I can get a login prompt, can connect to internet with wifi, download packages etc

can confirm this - FreeBSD 14-RC1 doesn't work with Alder Lake GT1 - (intel 12700K) only having iGPU
Well it works on mine (Raptor Lake - Core i5 1340p) and last tested with 14.0-BETA5. Boots to login prompt, can connect to internet, download ports/packages, can see wireless networks, been running for many days without any instability or crashes. iGPU apparently doesn't work yet, so I haven't tried it.

The point is, the capability to do so is there.

It seems the Realtek's RTL8125B LAN chipset is not supported by the FreeBSD 14 final release:

This specific Realtek chip is very popular on motherboards of all brands as long as they use the 1700 socket. (Intel Alder Lake and Raptor Lake)

But the chip is also used for AM5 sockets of several brands:

It does present a problem that this LAN chipset does not work by default on all these motherboards.

The pkg.txz file is also not available for FreeBSD 14, although it is available for FreeBSD 13

You are currently faced with the problem that many motherboards do not have LAN driver support on FreeBSD 14 and you also cannot install this driver manually by using the pkg.txz file to install pkg.

It appears to be an old problem for RTL 8125B and RTL 8125BG:

Until these drivers are supported, Alder Lake and Raptor Lake will not become popular on FreeBSD any time soon.

All package files previously named *.txz, including pkg.txz, were renamed to *.pkg some time during 13, including pkg.pkg. If you check sizes and datestamps on the 13 ones above you'll get it.
Thanks. Do you happen to know how to convert the .pkg file to the .txz file?
I tried just renaming it to .txz but that doesn't seem to work from Linux because I can't open this .txz file even when tar and xz are installed.
Another idea I have is to use the 'alien' tool but that is .txz from Slackware and .pkg from Solaris. Could this work?

I need the .txz file for the following instructions to apply:

I also downloaded the driver from the Realtek website and looked at those instructions for FreeBSD but they seem to be incorrect instructions because they talk about a if_re.ko file that you need but this file is not included in the archive.

Thanks. Do you happen to know how to convert the .pkg file to the .txz file?

No conversion, they are still tar files packed by xz, only the file extension has been changed.

So you can either rename any *.pkg to *.txz, or you can use .pkg in commands that used to refer to .txz. The latter is likely preferable, as all recent and new packages are *.pkg

I tried just renaming it to .txz but that doesn't seem to work from Linux because I can't open this .txz file even when tar and xz are installed.

Sorry, that doesn't compute; there's nothing else different.

Another idea I have is to use the 'alien' tool but that is .txz from Slackware and .pkg from Solaris. Could this work?

Don't know, shouldn't need it.

I need the .txz file for the following instructions to apply:

Both should work with pkg.pkg, either renamed or replaced.

No idea about the if_re.ko file.

No conversion, they are still tar files packed by xz, only the file extension has been changed.

So you can either rename any *.pkg to *.txz, or you can use .pkg in commands that used to refer to .txz. The latter is likely preferable, as all recent and new packages are *.pkg

I renamed the pkg.pkg file to pkg.txz and it worked fine. And FreeBSD 14 is reliable and stable on the Intel 12600KF.

HLTE1hr.png

I have just upgraded my server hardware with a 14700k, and 14-STABLE boots and works flawlessly.

I have just upgraded my server hardware with a 14700k, and 14-STABLE boots and works flawlessly.
In my case, FreeBSD 14 was still not fully stable in the end.
For example, while using Chromium, I have seen the system suddenly reboot (three times).

Could it be that it is the realtek-re-kmod-198.00_3.pkg driver that is making the system unstable in my case?
Or maybe the motherboard is not supported in a reliable way.

What I have also noticed is that when I boot and am not connected to the internet, it hangs all the time during
lo0 UP
re0 DOWN

This gives me the impression that the realtek-re-kmod-198.00_3.pkg driver is not working completely normally in FreeBSD 14 for my motherboard and the Realtek's RTL8125B LAN chipset.

I'm going to use Linux until FreeBSD announces that Alder Lake is officially supported and until Realtek's RTL8125B LAN chipsets are supported.

Back