Installing using ports without internet connection

Hello guys!

I'm really not sure about this, but is there a way that a installing using ports be done without internet connection? Like can the sources be cached and later be installed?

Because, when I install using ports, I've noticed, that it is downloading the sources/packages, and after that installs it.

Is there like a download first or cache it and install it even without having internet connection?

What are the steps to achieve this?

Thanks

Jemate18

jb_fvwm2 said:
cd /usr/ports/category/port
make checksum-recursive
(there are variants of that, several, including portmanager etc ways)

Thanks. Does this step downloads first the sources? If so then I can execute the
Code:
make install clean
at a later time?
Therefore, I need to be connected first to the internet using
Code:
make checksum-recursive
then for some reason, my internet connection fails, I can use
Code:
make install clean
anytime...

Is my understanding right?

Thanks for bearing with me...

I usually do not use "clean" (because I never have, and
suspect it deletes the distinfo, ie source files ) 3 of 4 years on
dialup, (someone will correct me it it just deletes the
/work/...)

Yes, using portupgrade is safe for you, it will leave all downloaded files in distfiles. You can use it with the -F flag so it will only fetch sources that aren't already available and you'll be able to build them later.

jb_fvwm2 said:
okay, thanks. So it is probably just the
default action of "portupgrade"
portupgrade will not delete your distfiles.
portupgrade provides the portsclean utility for that.

Hello :)

It is possible to install software on FreeBSD (using ports) when I don’t have internet connection?

Example: I don’t have internet in my home, where I have my computer with FreeBSD. All source files I downloaded from computer of my friend. How can I install/compile (for example bash shell) from source files without internet connection? Where should put source files in bash-port directory? (When I type make-command shell displays error-"I can’t fetch it")

I don’t find any answer on this questions or tutorial in internet :(

Could you help me? (I will be very grateful for links to tutorials or instructions).

Ps very big sorry for my bad English!

Back