Installing Network Driver

mrmike19597 said:
Is there a manual to setup the D-Link? Like RealTek is re(4) like how I have it set in the kernel configuration.. I don't see anything set for D-Link.
The D-Link DGE 530T is supported by the sk(4) driver. That would be specified as "device sk" in the kernel configuration file.

When I do ifconfig with the D-Link in it still shows the same info as shown in jpg picture I posted. If I upgrade FreeBSD won't it delete and overwrite all my work I have saved on it?

trh411 said:
mrmike19597 said:
Is there a manual to setup the D-Link? Like RealTek is re(4) like how I have it set in the kernel configuration.. I don't see anything set for D-Link.
The D-Link DGE 530T is supported by the sk(4) driver. That would be specified as "device sk" in the kernel configuration file.

Thank you, going to try this.

Just to chime in, the D-Link DGE 530T card has multiple revisions. I can't remember which revision ( I think it's Rev. C ), but it's a re-branded Realtek 8169 and uses the re() driver. I have a dead one in my junk drawer.

trh411 said:
The D-Link DGE 530T gets specific mention in sk(4), but it is silent on revisions. I do not see the D-Link DGE 530T mentioned anywhere else in the FreeBSD 7.0 Hardware Notes.

Yep, your correct. it uses re() or sk(4) depending on revision. I got bit by that one. I believe I found a PR on it and that's how I found out. This was almost 2 years ago though. I'll see if I can dig up the PR if you'd like.

protocelt said:
trh411 said:
The D-Link DGE 530T gets specific mention in sk(4), but it is silent on revisions. I do not see the D-Link DGE 530T mentioned anywhere else in the FreeBSD 7.0 Hardware Notes.

Yep, your correct. it uses re() or sk(4) depending on revision. I got bit by that one. I believe I found a PR on it and that's how I found out. This was almost 2 years ago though. I'll see if I can dig up the PR if you'd like.
Thanks, but I'm not sure it matters. The OP's NIC is not being recognized by either re(4) or sk(4) at this point.

I didn't have any luck changing re to sk in the configuration and ifconfig still shows the same output. D-Link Box does say Ver; C1. Since I lost all other hardware in a tornado I am guessing the system still has my old network settings and looking for my old network card, rc.conf still has hostname, DHCP, Identd set from old hardware; any suggestions?

trh411 said:
protocelt said:
trh411 said:

Thanks, but I'm not sure it matters. The OP's NIC is not being recognized by either re(4) or sk(4) at this point.

Can you recommend a network card for FreeBSD 7, please?

trh411 said:
protocelt said:
trh411 said:

Yeah, IMHO I'd have to agree with @kpa, forgo the headaches, backup and upgrade/install to a supported release.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a manual on how to back up all files and put them on CD? This is why I was trying to get internet access because it is easier to do over FTP, but I don't know the commands to do all this. If I insert a FreeBSD 10 CD and do an install would it delete all my data and www/apache files?

mrmike19597 said:
Trying to install RealTek network driver and run into an error.

Code:
cd /usr
cd ports
cd rtl_bsd_drv_v184

Back to square 1.

So, you downloaded the RealTek driver sources (version 2014) for FreeBSD 7.x and 8.x from their website as I suggested in the other thread. As you found out the long way, this won't work out of the box because your FreeBSD 7.3 got the old (< 2010) re-driver built-into the Kernel.

The least involved way to uses this 2014 driver is in your case to rename the device node in the 2014 driver sources let's say from "re" to "ree" (think of rev. e of RTL8111). The procedure is:

1. login as user root
  2. remove the v184 sources dir from /usr/ports, because it does not belong there: rm -r /usr/ports/rtl_bsd_drv_v184
  3. create an installation directory at home of user root, move the downloaded driver archive rtl_bsd_drv_v184.tgz in there, and cd to ~/installation.
  4. unpack the dirver archive: tar -oxzf rtl_bsd_drv_v184.tgz; cd rtl_bsd_drv_v184
  5. edit the Makefile on line 4 changing KMOD = if_re to KMOD = if_ree: nano +4 Makfile
  6. edit if_re.c on line 75, replacing #include <dev/re/if_rereg.h> with #include "if_rereg.h"
    : nano +75 if_re.c
  7. edit if_re.c on line 241, changing "re" to "ree": nano +241 if_re.c
  8. make the driver (no install): make
  9. manually load the driver for testing: kldload ./if_ree.ko
  10. see if the interface ree0 is listed in the output of ifconfig -- if yes continue with steps 11 to 14
  11. copy if_ree.ko into the directory /boot/modules: cp if_ree.ko /boot/modules/if_ree.ko
  12. add a respective load entry to /boot/loader.conf: echo 'if_ree_load="YES"' >> /boot/loader.conf
  13. change the network settings in /etc/rc.conf from ifconfig_re0 to ifconfig_ree0
  14. restart.

I agree with everybody, that you want to upgrade your machine to a recent FreeBSD version, once you saved your data.

I'd try and find a card that is supported on a bare FreeBSD 7.x. Somewhat older 10/100Mbit Intel cards should work, consult your version of the man pages to find one. Once the box has network again you can copy/backup your important files. It'll be slower obviously but it's better than nothing at all. Then wipe the machine with a brand new FreeBSD 9 or 10.

SirDice said:
I'd try and find a card that is supported on a bare FreeBSD 7.x. Somewhat older 10/100Mbit Intel cards should work, consult your version of the man pages to find one. Once the box has network again you can copy/backup your important files. It'll be slower obviously but it's better than nothing at all. Then wipe the machine with a brand new FreeBSD 9 or 10.

Yeah I wanted to do it that way but can't find any old cards for sale, I went through the list of supported cards and can't find any for sale to order unless you know of one please let me know. I got the D-Link as mentioned it but it turns out it was revised to use re and not sk, either way still doesn't work so trying the other suggestions.

obsigna said:
mrmike19597 said:
Trying to install RealTek network driver and run into an error.

Code:
cd /usr
cd ports
cd rtl_bsd_drv_v184

Back to square 1.

So, you downloaded the RealTek driver sources (version 2014) for FreeBSD 7.x and 8.x from their website as I suggested in the other thread. As you found out the long way, this won't work out of the box because your FreeBSD 7.3 got the old (< 2010) re-driver built-into the Kernel.

The least involved way to uses this 2014 driver is in your case to rename the device node in the 2014 driver sources let's say from "re" to "ree" (think of rev. e of RTL8111). The procedure is:

1. login as user root
  2. remove the v184 sources dir from /usr/ports, because it does not belong there: rm -r /usr/ports/rtl_bsd_drv_v184
  3. create an installation directory at home of user root, move the downloaded driver archive rtl_bsd_drv_v184.tgz in there, and cd to ~/installation.
  4. unpack the dirver archive: tar -oxzf rtl_bsd_drv_v184.tgz; cd rtl_bsd_drv_v184
  5. edit the Makefile on line 4 changing KMOD = if_re to KMOD = if_ree: nano +4 Makfile
  6. edit if_re.c on line 75, replacing #include <dev/re/if_rereg.h> with #include "if_rereg.h"
  7. edit if_re.c on line 241, changing "re" to "ree": nano +241 if_re.c
  8. make the driver (no install): make
  9. manually load the driver for testing: kldload ./if_ree.ko
  10. see if the interface ree0 is listed in the output of ifconfig -- if yes continue with steps 11 to 14
  11. copy if_ree.ko into the directory /boot/modules: cp if_ree.ko /boot/modules/if_ree.ko
  12. add a respective load entry to /boot/loader.conf: echo 'if_ree_load="YES"' >> /boot/loader.conf
  13. change the network settings in /etc/rc.conf from ifconfig_re0 to ifconfig_ree0
  14. restart.

I agree with everybody, that you want to upgrade your machine to a recent FreeBSD version, once you saved your data.

Thanks very much, I admit I am a bit lost, I'll have to figure out the codes to create folder, move file to it off CD because it seems to put it in ports by default. And I'll have to read what you mean by nano and cp ... sorry just used to doing everything via FTP.

mrmike19597 said:
Can someone tell me the proper command to make directory named installation?
mkdir(1). To create a directory named "installation" in the /root directory, execute mkdir /root/installation. This will work regardless of the current working directory since we are fully qualifying the path to the new directory. If /root is already the current working directory, we can simply execute mkdir installation, which will create the "installation" directory relative to the current working directory, which is /root, since we have not fully qualified the path to the new directory.

@obsigna, here is what I did and the error I got..

Code:
3.create an installation directory at home of user root, move the downloaded driver archive rtl_bsd_drv_v184.tgz in there, and cd to ~/installation.
4.unpack the dirver archive: tar -oxzf rtl_bsd_drv_v184.tgz; cd rtl_bsd_drv_v184
5.edit the Makefile on line 4 changing KMOD = if_re to KMOD = if_ree: nano +4 Makfile
6.edit if_re.c on line 75, replacing #include <dev/re/if_rereg.h> with #include "if_rereg.h"
7.edit if_re.c on line 241, changing "re" to "ree": nano +241 if_re.c
8.make the driver (no install): make
9.manually load the driver for testing: kldload ./if_ree.ko

kldload ./if_ree.ko
link_elf_obj: symbol pci_find_cap undefined
kldload: ./if_ree.ko: Unsupported file type
kldoad: can't load ./if_ree.ko: Exec format error

Can you please let me know where I went wrong? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
ondra_knezour said:
mrmike19597 said:
I plugged in a USB Flash Device to move files to, what is the path to get to the USB Storage Drive folder?
Depends on configuration, but probably /dev/da0. You have to mount it somewhere and better unmount it again before eject.

mount -t msdosfs /dev/da0 /mnt
Copy your files to /mnt
umount /mnt

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/usb-disks.html

I typed in mount -t msdosfs /dev/da0 /mnt and got the error:
Code:
mount_msdosfs: /dev/da0: Invalid argument

camcontrol devlist
Code:
<HP v125w 0119> at scbus0 target 0 lun 0 (pass0,da0)

Using FreeBSD 7.3

Back