Installing KDE apps without KDE-specific services

D

Deleted member 67862

Its from my understanding that KDE applications can, at the source, be installed much like xfce applications where they dont have a hard dependence on the desktop environment they're from. Installing something like x11-fm/krusader2 however pulls in quite a lot of kde frameworks specific things (such as kwallet, knewstuff, etc.) which will never be used.
Unfortunately the ports dont have any options to disable things like this and I couldnt find any dependency with relevant options, so building from ports wouldn't help much either as far as I know. This is why I ask, is it possible to reduce these kde-specific dependencies or do we just have to live with them?

Its a shame because I really do like a lot of kde apps like akregator and kate and prefer to stick to the Qt side which they pretty much dominate. I just don't like their desktop environment.

As I think I have mentioned in a previous thread, KDE is trying to be Windows (as Gnome is trying to be Mac). I had rather they had concentrated on purely making a good environment without falling into any traps.

So I have ended up using XFCE, and there are all the necessary applications. Some (like Libre Office) have the option for both QT and GTK.

I either use TDE (a fork of KDE 3) or icewm. Just icewm now with mostly Qt applications.

Back