Solved Installing Chinese input method in FreeBSD 10.1

I'm trying to install Chinese input method in FreeBSD.

I use scim in Debian7 and fcitx in Debian8.

But on FreeBSD, I couldn't find fcitx package:

Although it's not for Chinese, if you're not familiar with setting it up on FreeBSD, I have a page about inputting Japanese. There's a few quirks to chinese/fcitx, though this may have only been for japanese/fcitx-mozc.

http://srobb.net/jpninpt.html#FreeBSD

Thank you! It helps a lot.

I installed the following pkgs for chinese input/config:

zh-fcitx-4.2.8.6_1 Flexible Input Method Framework
zh-fcitx-configtool-0.4.8 Fcitx IM framework configuration tool
zh-fcitx-sunpinyin-0.4.1 SunPinyin support for Fcitx

Then I added the following to ~/.xinitrc:
Code:
export LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8
export GTK_IM_MODULE=fcitx
export QT_IM_MODULE=xim
export XMODIFIERS=@im=fcitx
fcitx -r -d

and run fcitx-configtool to configure the chinese input method.

My page deals with getting chinese/fcitx working on console but I've only tried in Linux. I haven't tried in FreeBSD.

It's documented on my pages--if someone wants to take anything there and use it for FreeBSD documentation, that's fine, though it would be nice if they mention the page.

I was looking at the Handbook localization chapter yesterday. It appears to be out of date. However, I'm a monolingual American and have never had to deal with any of that. So it's hard to know what needs to be done.

There is a section about Russian at the end of that chapter, and only some links for other languages. I would like to update that, but need help with it. My experience is that adapting existing documents to the Handbook format is usually more work than just writing them from scratch. But they can be used as a guideline.

The fcitx seems to be in conflict with other applications, such as x file writer and x file explorer. Keyboard won't work in these two applications if fcitx is enabled under IceWM, this is the case both under Debian 8 and FreeBSD 10.1.

I have found, in FreeBSD-10.1, with dwm (Hrrm, maybe other desktops too, haven't tried in awhile) that it does change my keyboard layout. I mention in my article that you should be sure that you have setxkbmap installed and that if you open vi after starting fcitx, and find that when you hit a colon you get a plus sign, you can use the single quote key and it will give you that colon to save what you have, then open another terminal and type setxkpmap us (assuming you want a US keymapping.) Aside from that though, it hasn't caused me issues.

wblock@, you are more than welcome to take any information you want from my page, but it's only for Japanese.

Back