try to explain with images. PC-Laptop production evolves. Modern ones are time by time more selective in BIOS features and often disallow some custom configuration, in the name of "security"
here above is a relatively recent HP laptop. Two usb stick are connected, but only the one with EFI partition (Verbatim, Freebsd install media) is detected, the other one was a Samsung with the Freebsd fully installed, no EFI no party. In the BIOS settings I have disabled both secure boot and fast boot, no other similar setting present.
here's an older HP laptop which has a BIOS with more items (at that time they trusted the user) so have disabled secure boot, fast boot, and enabled "legacy" mode. As you see both usb stick are detected and bootable, ad the Verbatim one appear in the two mode: UEFI and MBR. I can boot the Samsung from there.
I have another laptop, MSI Katana, that could let me boot a non-EFI volume but this feature is in a submenu available only discovering the "Hide functions" with a weird combination of keys and
only allowing one mode or the other, not both same time, not fitting my needs.
This is why I need an EFI partition on my USB stick with the Freebsd 15.1 installation to boot.
Easy way to get it in an installation step or any easy trick for one like me not familiar with Freebsd?
Thank you