Installing 13.0-RELEASE on a new laptop

Looked through bsd-hardware.info... My hardware scan is the only one there with an N-KEY keyboard. Compared that with information from linux-hardware.org. Both places list device class as 03-01-01. And even Device ID looks similar: USB 0b05:19b6 for bsd-hardware.info, vs USB 0b05:1866 on linux-hardware.org...

Which suggests to me that covacat 's line

could be changed to:
hw.usb.quirk.0="0x0b05 0x1866 0 0xffff UQ_KBD_BOOTPROTO"

Does anyone think this just might work, or are there pitfalls to that idea?
Tried that, no go. 😩

ideas for other places
The first time I try GhostBSD I had a mouse problem doesn't click till I plug it out and plug it in when I decide to try it again I didn't download the same ISO I download the latest one and I didn't have that issue, I know it doesn't make sense but this is what happens to me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ u you can try to install it with another ISO.

Having the exact same issues on my asus zephyrus g15(13.1,13.2rc6,14current), keyboard registering randomly if I type fast and touchpad is dead.
compiled the asus modules based on the recommended links in this thread but nothing seems to work.
just for the record , Installing OpenBSD and everything is working perfectly, I don't understand why this I2C is not addresses during the installation.

Having the exact same issues on my asus zephyrus g15(13.1,13.2rc6,14current), keyboard registering randomly if I type fast and touchpad is dead.
compiled the asus modules based on the recommended links in this thread but nothing seems to work.
just for the record , Installing OpenBSD and everything is working perfectly, I don't understand why this I2C is not addresses during the installation.
Just a few weeks ago, I tried playing with a 14-CURRENT boot iso on my Zephyrus. And, I discovered that the secret to making the keyboard register is frankly holding down the shift key as I type. In that case, the letters came out all lower-case. Pressing the Caps Lock key once (and still holding the shift key down afterwards) did make the letters come out in upper-case.

BUT...

I cannot type out the special characters like ~,@,#,%,^,&,*,(,),_,+,{,},|,:,",<,>,?...

I guess I will try OpenBSD on this thing sometime soon, just to see what's so different about how OpenBSD looks for a keyboard on my Zephyrus...

Just a few weeks ago, I tried playing with a 14-CURRENT boot iso on my Zephyrus. And, I discovered that the secret to making the keyboard register is frankly holding down the shift key as I type. In that case, the letters came out all lower-case. Pressing the Caps Lock key once (and still holding the shift key down afterwards) did make the letters come out in upper-case.

BUT...

I cannot type out the special characters like ~,@,#,%,^,&,*,(,),_,+,{,},|,:,",<,>,?...

I guess I will try OpenBSD on this thing sometime soon, just to see what's so different about how OpenBSD looks for a keyboard on my Zephyrus...
completely different , enjoy , synaptics works perfectly

Actually tried OpenBSD on my Zephyrus... and while Xorg installs, and keyboard works, OpenBSD seems to be allergic to the USB-to-ethernet adapter! So I can't install anything beyond what's on the install ISO! 😭

And, I have to correct myself on what it takes to properly type stuff under FreeBSD on my Zephyrus:

I have to simultaneously press down left Ctrl and nearly any one other key on the keyboard except:
  • Fn
  • Caps Lock
  • Windows
  • Alt (both left AND right keys)
  • Shift (both left AND right keys)
Shift key (when not part of the 2-key combo I have to press) doesn't work. Caps Lock key actually does, but it only capitalizes the letters, not special characters like : or " or even ~...

My hope is that a dev sees this, and can point out a fix that I can try...

Have you tried an external usb keyboard? I've had experiences in the past where that has helped.
I have, and it works perfect, but kind of defeats the purpose.

I'd happily use a USB keyboard for diagnostics and troubleshooting of the issue if it helps me to tease out the correct parameters that solve my original issue.

astyle, I have the exact same laptop as you.... Well, I've replace the SSD in mine with 2TB and the Mediatek WiFi card with one from Intel, otherwise the same... 😁 I've tried to install GhostBSD several times, but after the live USB stick loads, the whole thing just froze in MATE — I thought something must have gone wrong in Xorg (eg., maybe something went wrong with the display or the mouse drivers), but since the keyboard or the hot keys to switch to console didn't work either, I figured maybe the entire Xorg got hosed or something. It didn't occur to me that there might be issues with built-in keyboard and mouse support until I recently tried to install FreeBSD instead.

tingo, thanks for the suggestion, as astyle have indicated, any subsequent USB keyboard plugged into the computer works perfectly, but this is a compact-to-medium sized laptop with a fairly decent touchpad mouse and keyboard (ie., when it is working), it would be a shame to have to lug around a separate keyboard and mouse just to get it to work with the OS....

I've got the laptop running Linux Mint 21.1 instead, which had no issues recognizing the keyboard or mouse. But I hate the way that everything is tied to systemd and it pisses me off trying to trace through the convoluted steps of how systemd works, but I digress.... I much rather help to get it working on FreeBSD.

BUT...

Just thinking out loud ...

Curious: does this shift/caps lock procedure only work with -CURRENT or is this behaviour also shown on for example 13.2-RELEASE?

As OpenBSD seems to work with your Zephyrus keyboard, that might be a good known fact to mention on the FreeBSD current mailing list. My guess is that more interest, cooperation and help would be forthcoming when a brotherly xBSD OS does support it (as compared to a Linux distro). Perhaps there is some useful info to be gained from an OpenBSD forum & mailing list as to how their driver works with respect to this particular internal keyboard, especially if it's all I2C driven ( what are its specifics? ) or has some "special sauce" (non-I2C) code.

Curious: does this shift/caps lock procedure only work with -CURRENT or is this behaviour also shown on for example 13.2-RELEASE?
I tried 13.1, 13.2, -RELEASE, -STABLE, everything. Same problem, no matter the version of FreeBSD...

[FONT=monospace]tingo[/FONT], thanks for the suggestion, as [FONT=monospace]astyle[/FONT] have indicated, any subsequent USB keyboard plugged into the computer works perfectly, but this is a compact-to-medium sized laptop with a fairly decent touchpad mouse and keyboard (ie., when it is working), it would be a shame to have to lug around a separate keyboard and mouse just to get it to work with the OS....
I was suggesting this as a way to aid in debugging the issue, not a permanent fix. With a working keyboard on a machine, you can do things like booting it in verbose mode, turning on various debug knobs, etc. Sometimes, this (logs) helps to debug and pinpoint an issue, if you open a PR and describe the problem to the best of your ability.

I was suggesting this as a way to aid in debugging the issue, not a permanent fix. With a working keyboard on a machine, you can do things like booting it in verbose mode, turning on various debug knobs, etc. Sometimes, this (logs) helps to debug and pinpoint an issue, if you open a PR and describe the problem to the best of your ability.
Please re-read this thread from the beginning, tingo ... what makes you think I haven't tried YOUR suggestions already?

Back