Installing 13.0-RELEASE on a new laptop

I got my hands on a nice new laptop, and I'm trying to install 13.0-RELEASE on it. But I'm experiencing weird issues that I have no idea how to troubleshoot (I last had any issues of that kind more than 5 years ago, so my brain has rusted on that topic since). The weird issue is: When I'm at the boot screen:
1646189864213.png

Laptop's keyboard starts out working fine. Escaping to loader prompt works fine. But when I try option 1 (Boot Multi user), the laptop's keyboard stops functioning. The weird thing is, if I plug in a USB keyboard and a USB mouse, that solves the problem. The mouse even works in bsdinstall, and I was able to install a barebones 13.0-RELEASE that way, and am able to use a USB keyboard to get around.

I have a USB->RJ45 adapter on the way (ordered it from Amazon), so I'm not worried too much about networking at this point.

I guess my question is: Is there a way to troubleshoot that kind of issue? As in, built-in keyboard not working, but USB keyboard working fine) I'm sure it cropped up before on older laptops - which is why I'm not sharing the brand of my laptop just yet. Can someone please share their troubleshooting experiences/solutions? I'd also appreciate pointers to info.

the laptop's keyboard stops functioning. The weird thing is, if I plug in a USB keyboard and a USB mouse, that solves the problem.
Can you clarify that - "that solves the problem" means the laptop's keyboard starts working? Or do you mean that at least you end up with a working keyboard - the USB one?

I think you mean the latter, and that you still have the real problem - the laptop keyboard doesn't work.

Can you clarify that - "that solves the problem" means the laptop's keyboard starts working? Or do you mean that at least you end up with a working keyboard - the USB one?

I think you mean the latter, and that you still have the real problem - the laptop keyboard doesn't work.
Yeah, I end up with a working keyboard - the USB one.

I last had any issues of that kind more than 5 years ago, so my brain has rusted on that topic since
I'm in the exact same situation at the moment 😁

So - back to basics - first things first: ALWAYS get everything about your hardware, distinguishing marketing names from the real thing.
You may run into the next funny surprise about the GPU...

As far as I know is that many internal laptop keyboards are internally connected via PS/2, which is forced to be outdated, since everbody thinks it's a good idea to connect Keyboard and Mouse via USB instead of where they belong to...

Another point I'm suspicious about and trying to check out is the SSD.
For the last couple of weeks trying to install 13 on two machines on M.2 SSDs I observe "funny" things I have not observed with neither FreeBSD installation and I yet have no fair explanation actually, such as the success of installation depends on the order of the packages are installed...
After I first thought hackers, malware bugs in 13... at the moment I blame the SSD (nvd).
So my additional - unproven, not on facts ... esoteric based - recommondation is, if deciding to start over with a new installation on a SSD, make sure the SSD has been cleaned completely first (secure data-erase by a tool, BIOS, or in worst case dd if=/dev/zero...)

I'm curious what happens when you boot from a live 12.3-RELEASE USB stick.
Try finding out how your laptop keyboard is connected internally.
And specify what BIOS option settings for USB you have.

… new … the boot screen …

Is that truly the screen of your new computer? Or an image from elsewhere, pasted here for convenience?

What's pictured is quite unlike what's expected with e.g. FreeBSD-13.0-RELEASE-amd64-disc1.iso on a modern computer with UEFI enabled (see the shot of the installer for 13.1-PRERELEASE at <https://forums.freebsd.org/posts/558363>).

covacat the screw-hole at the foot of the photograph is unmistakably an Apple keyboard. I can tell by the shape (the hole being round) and the colour of the plastic (white). The third party modifications are amazing.

That rat's nest looks like the bottom of a keyboard PCB with a custom keyboard controller.

😩 The reason I'm interested in how a similar problem was solved on older hardware:

My laptop is awfully new (Ryzen 6000, and no, that's not a typo), and I will be getting comments that it's too new to be supported by FreeBSD. However, FreeBSD was able to support USB-based keyboards and mice for a long time now, it's not a problem to plug a no-name keyboard/mouse and expect it to work fine with plug and play.

Is that truly the screen of your new computer? Or an image from elsewhere, pasted here for convenience?
I just pasted it from the Handbook for convenience. My boot screen actually features a nice and shiny FreeBSD logo (not the text-based stuff). It's a result of installing 13.0-RELEASE with help of USB keyboard/mouse. This suggests to me that graphics won't be an issue.

Back to the topic: I strongly suspect there's some kind of sysctl(8) tunable to look at. I'm hoping that somebody who knows more about that kind of stuff than I do can point me in the right direction.

For the last couple of weeks trying to install 13 on two machines on M.2 SSDs I observe "funny" things I have not observed with neither FreeBSD installation and I yet have no fair explanation actually, such as the success of installation depends on the order of the packages are installed...
As long as those SSD's have been formatted by the installer and set to be bootable during the install process, you'll be fine. Sometimes, you do need to enable those SSD's in the BIOS, and turn off 'Boot Security' in the BIOS, as well.

As for "Success of installation depending on order of packages installed" - that's always the case in UNIX/BSD/Linux world. 😑 🤷‍♂️ There's some help available in the form of automated dependency resolution by package managers, but it's not a panacea, it won't replace paying attention to installation logs. 😩

dependency resolution of packages, much like ordering of service startup, requires that the packages have the dependencies correctly specified.

I have a USB->RJ45 adapter on the way (ordered it from Amazon), so I'm not worried too much about networking at this point.
Once that arrives, I'll be able to slurp out dmesg into termbin and see what else can be done.

But when I try option 1 (Boot Multi user), the laptop's keyboard stops functioning.
That's because you don't know what the hell you're doing.

But you read the Handbook to find out how to do it right.

I do know what I'm doing, and I do read the Handbook. FWIW, I discovered that USB-C works without any special tweaking of 13.0-RELEASE's sysctl(8) tunables. So how come the internal keyboard gets lost between boot screen and booted kernel, while a USB-A keyboard doesn't have that issue?

I do know what I'm doing, and I do read the Handbook. FWIW, I discovered that USB-C works without any special tweaking of 13.0-RELEASE's sysctl(8) tunables. So how come the internal keyboard gets lost between boot screen and booted kernel, while a USB-A keyboard doesn't have that issue?
No, you don't. And it should be apparent to anyone that does why you don't.
I got my hands on a nice new laptop, and I'm trying to install 13.0-RELEASE on it. But I'm experiencing weird issues that I have no idea how to troubleshoot (I last had any issues of that kind more than 5 years ago, so my brain has rusted on that topic since). The weird issue is: When I'm at the boot screen:

Laptop's keyboard starts out working fine. Escaping to loader prompt works fine. But when I try option 1 (Boot Multi user), the laptop's keyboard stops functioning.

Because if you knew what you were doing you wouldn't "try option 1" when you're installing the Base System.

You would sit quietly, close your eyes at the appearance of the boot screen and contemplate your navel for 10 seconds.
When you open your eyes something wondrous will have happened. You will have sat quietly for 10 seconds.

It would have continued on after 9 seconds anyway, but 10 seconds is 10 seconds.
And for 10 seconds I took your strings and you danced for me while we both laughed at the same joke.

No, you don't. And it should be apparent to anyone that does why you don't.

Because if you knew what you were doing you wouldn't "try option 1" when you're installing the Base System.

You would sit quietly, close your eyes at the appearance of the boot screen and contemplate your navel for 10 seconds.
When you open your eyes something wondrous will have happened. You will have sat quietly for 10 seconds.

It would have continued on after 9 seconds anyway, but 10 seconds is 10 seconds.
And for 10 seconds I took your strings and you danced for me while we both laughed at the same joke.
I'm looking for technical help, in the form of "Try this value for sysctl", not an analysis of one "Code 18" diagnosis provided by one user. There is such a thing as peer review. 😑

Can someone please share their troubleshooting experiences/solutions?
Check the settings in the BIOS/UEFI. Specifically support for "Legacy" keyboards. This provides an 'emulation' (for lack of a better word) of a PS/2 keyboard, this was/is intended for operating systems that don't have support for USB keyboards. In some cases you have to turn this on, in other cases you have to turn it off. Also be on the lookout for 60h/64h support, those are the old BIOS calls for keyboards and mice.

I'm going to guide you though the process of getting a fully functional FreeBSD 13.0-RELEASE desktop up and running, complete with system files and security settings, step-by-step as if you've never used UNIX or the command line. Now let's get started:

Insert your boot media and at the Welcome screen, choose the Install option and hit Enter. (You'll be using the Enter key to confirm all your choices.)
You are stuck right there. It's expected a complete n00b will let the installer run till it gets to the Welcome screen. You have yet to make it that far by your own account.

But go ahead and check reddit. Struggle is good for the character. I have an account there and will take a look at that conversation myself.

There is such a thing as peer review.
You are not my peer and lack basic knowledge to be capable of reviewing my work. My work has already been reviewed by freebsdnews.org twice and bleepingcomputer.com once well before you arrived.

Since we're back in the black area of covert knowledge being overtly discussed I think it important for the whole community to hear the name of the member that had multiple accounts here this shadow figure divuldged as they maaterialized from Dimension X when the forums were offline, for 3 whole days...

An account of anarchy that frightened our hero to the extreme he was afraid. And, shades, "they" might even have taken down the forums in some nightmare scenario only grahm of craker could be trusted with, but put his life in jeopardy to know.

That would be a felony in the US of A. To conceal their identy to become complicit in the crime.

What a heavy burden to bear... Drop it.
Name the villain and let the light of truth burn like the Sun to cleanse the darkness of treachery from our midst. .

Can I get an Amen!

Especially if it's me they named. This would surely be my end. My IP easy to check for multiple accounts, my writing epic in nature and unnatural in nurture
Get a swat team in here fast. He's a karate expert and ninja most foul.

Or it's another pipe dream.

Update: Got my USB to RJ45 adapter, and was able to SSH into the laptop, and even install editors/nano from quarterly packages. Legacy USB support is enabled (I actually did that before going ahead with the 13.0-RELEASE install, so I'm not sure if there's much to do in the BIOS any more.
--
It looks like there's still something I'm not doing right... The reddit post provided by grahamperrin suggested that I edit /boot/device.hints, and add the line, hint.atkbd.0.flags="4", which I did, rebooted, but no dice... 😩 I even tried reading the atkbd(4) manpage for hints, and to grep my own dmesg for anything that looks promising. (Complete output of dmesg is attached if anyone is interested).
Code:
# dmesg | grep Keyboard
atkbdc0: <Keyboard controller (i8042)> at port 0x60,0x64 on isa0
atkbd0: <AT Keyboard> flags 0x4 irq 1 on atkbdc0
ugen1.7: <SEM HCT Keyboard> at usbus1
ukbd4: <SEM HCT Keyboard, class 0/0, rev 1.10/1.10, addr 6> on usbus1
uhid0: <SEM HCT Keyboard, class 0/0, rev 1.10/1.10, addr 6> on usbus1
ugen1.7: <SEM HCT Keyboard> at usbus1 (disconnected)
# dmesg | grep kbd
WARNING: Device "kbd" is Giant locked and may be deleted before FreeBSD 14.0.
kbd1 at kbdmux0
atkbdc0: <Keyboard controller (i8042)> at port 0x60,0x64 on isa0
atkbd0: <AT Keyboard> flags 0x4 irq 1 on atkbdc0
kbd0 at atkbd0
atkbd0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
atkbdc0: non-PNP ISA device will be removed from GENERIC in FreeBSD 14.
ukbd0 on uhub4
ukbd0: <ASUSTeK Computer Inc.> on usbus0
kbd2 at ukbd0
ukbd1 on uhub4
ukbd1: <ASUSTeK Computer Inc.> on usbus0
kbd3 at ukbd1
ukbd2 on uhub4
ukbd2: <ASUSTeK Computer Inc.> on usbus0
kbd4 at ukbd2
ukbd3 on uhub4
ukbd3: <ASUSTeK Computer Inc.> on usbus0
kbd5 at ukbd3
ukbd4 on uhub5
ukbd4: <SEM HCT Keyboard, class 0/0, rev 1.10/1.10, addr 6> on usbus1
kbd6 at ukbd4
ukbd4: at uhub5, port 1, addr 6 (disconnected)
ukbd4: detached
Right now, I'm thinking, there may be some old instructions around on how to install a weird keyboard under FreeBSD - If somebody can point me to them (or help in other ways), that would be great! I vaguely recall such documentation being around, but my mind is rusty... 😅

Attachments

• device_hints_dmesg.txt
    15.2 KB · Views: 124
Back