Solved Installer does not show SSD in USB enclosure - but is detected as da1

I have found that a USB flash drive is too slow for Poudriere so I went out and purchased a 240 GB Sandisk SSD and put it in a USB 3.0 enclosure and attached it.

The FreeBSD 11 installer does not show the disk as an available option but it is clearly detected as da1.

This has all been a huge hold up. How can I get this thing going?

edit:
It is detected by the 12-CURRENT installer but I have found that the 12-CURRENT installer does not work with USB devices. I will try it anyway and see what happens.

edit 2: installs AND boots fine with 12-CURRENT. What a miracle. 12-CURRENT is what I wanted/needed anyway. The dilemma now is do I fight with the old busted BSD version or continue using 12-CURRENT and incur the wrath of the forum...Decisions, Decisions.

I got this working with the FreeBSD 11. The drive has the same delay in the installer as it does at regular boot time. That should have been obvious but it wasn't. If you just wait a few seconds after the installer boots then the drive is detected and then becomes available as an install option. This is much better because 12-CURRENT has a devastating UFS filesystem corruption bug on unclean resets.

Sorry for the late reply. I am not using 12-CURRENT right now because I need stability but I was running into something similar to this:
https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=222876

There were many messages about UFS checksum errors and the system becomes unstable.

The way to reproduce it was to install 12-CURRENT on the USB SSD drive and then trigger an unclean reset.

fsck was not able to fix the problem. I also was not running growfs that I am aware of.

Back